Am worried for my HCM cat with recurring pulmonary oedema

  • banditbabe32
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
      Hello there,
      I made my first post a few weeks ago with regard to my cat Marley, who was diagnosed with severe HCM just recently. A week after discharge from the hospital she went back in with increased respiratory rate. They treated her with injectable frusemide and discharged her to continue with upped oral frusemide at home as she gets very stressed being in the hospital. Over the course of the week her respiratory rate did not improve dramatically and stayed at between 38 and 44 breaths per minute although she seemed very well in herself. Eventualyl I made the decision to take her back on Monday because she had been coughing in the morning. They said her resp rate was abnormal but not life threatening and they decided to do a chest X-ray which showed mild-moderate oedema. Unfortunately, the stress of the x-ray put her back into CHF and her resp rate increased to 66 breaths per minute. She was put in the oxygen cage with regular injections of frusemide. After 2 days they discharged her with a resp rate of around 38 bpm. They were hoping she would improve further at home without the stress. They gave me some pre-drawn intra-muscular injections to give her in case her resp rate went above 40. They considered this the best course of action considering how stressed she gets in the hospital. They said that if after the first injection within an hour the resp rate did not go down then phone them and adminster another injection. Anyway, her resp rate went over 40 again yesterday so I administered an injection. Within an hour she had improved and the rate had gone down to 29 which is really good for Marley.

      I am really worried though, she keeps getting fluid - does anyone else have experience of repeated oedema? I am so worried that this is a sign of the end.

      I will add though that she seems happy enough in herself, is eating loads, is not underweight, jumping and wanting to go out, cleaning herself etc. Her kidney parameters are being closely monitored and at the moment are OK. I am also worried about her kidneys giving up though as well.
    • Jill Barclay
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
        Hi Banditbabe,

        Have you asked your vet if you could try spironolactone.  My cat Oscar has HCM, with plural infusion, asthma, and diabetes.  He has been on Spiro for 2 years now and it has kept his fluid problem at bay.  Good Luck!!

        Jill and Oscar

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2009
          And spiro can also be used in conjunction with lasix, right?

          Linda

          _____

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2009
            Yes, you can use both together. Lasix is better for one kind of fluid and Spironolactone another (can't remember which is which though). Our angels Chris and Sweetie were on both at one time.

            Carol and Snowball and the gang

          • elfinmyst@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2009
              Hi

              It sounds as if Marley's CHF is not under control. How much oral frusimide
              is she getting each day? When my cats don't get full control with the
              tablets, they get the intravenous, but that usually works quickly. Have they
              considered adding a second diuretic like spironolactone? That works in
              combination and is quite effective. If she has bad edema, they may do a chest tap
              to get it under control first, but if she's eating and playing, it's a good
              sign.

              What other drugs is she on to help her heart?

            • banditbabe32
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 5, 2009
                Strange - I had replied to the previous post but it did not show on the messsages page.

                She was on 2ml of Frusol (liquid form) twice a day and after problems this weekend is now going to be on 2ml three times a day. The cardiologist has also decided to add 1/4 tablet of spironolactone from today. She is also on 0.25ml of Imidapril (liquid again as Marley has trouble taking pills).

                I am a little concerned about severe facial dermatitis developing (according to research, one third of Maine Coon cats developed this after taking spironolactone) but she is not a Maine Coon, just a normal moggy. However, the risk outweighs not giving it because if her fluid does not clear up then it doesnt look good for her long term outlook.