Carmen update

  • Ildiko
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2009
      Hello everyone,

      First of all I want to thank everyone again for their amazing response to my post. The love and support in this community is truly special.

      Carmen was released from the hospital only after one day. SHe did not require oxygen.

      The cardiologist still does not understand what put her again into heart failure. The echo does not yet show further heart damage, but of course he suspects its there. But, he thinks that there could have been some event to throw off her heart rhythym, as the gallop sound they detected was not there before. He was also stunned at how quickly the fluid drained from her lungs with the injectible Lasix. Her kidneys look excellent right now but we have a follow up in 10 days as her lasix has increased from 1/2 tab per day to 1 1/2, quite a jump up. Her Enalapril is staying at 1 tab per day. The vet said it seems as quickly as she went into heart failure, she bounced out, so I am hoping that she keeps her fighting spirit as we battle this disease.

      Also, dont know who uses a Blackberry out there, but I have downloaded a free stop watch application which makes measuring her breathing very easy. My cardiologist has me do it in 10 second increments, rather than one minute, not quite sure why. Her breathing is supposed to be between 6-8 per 10 seconds.

      I am hoping for the best with the adjustment in medication.

      Thank you all and my best to each of you and your precious kitties!

      Ildiko
    • Ildiko
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 27, 2009
        Hi Everyone,

        Carmen and I went to see her cardiologist last week. First of all, he started out by saying he was "very proud" of her progress. She really has come back from a very bad place. Her breathing continues to be good, 3 breaths per ten second intervals. I don't know why but my cardiologist has me measure that way instead of per minute. The norm is 5-7 breaths per ten seconds, so she is doing great here!

        Despite the very aggressive regimen of Lasix, Enalapril, Spironolactone and HCTZ, her kidney values are completely normal. He noted her heart size has also reduced.

        However they did find a spot on her lungs which was not there before. He confirmed through a white blood cell test that its not cancer (Thank God!) but they think it is some sort of infection. They know its not fluids.

        Two questions: any idea why she would develop such a lung infection? I know that for a long time we just lived with a small amount of fluid in her lungs, can having such fluid in the lungs over prolonged periods cause infection? Right now in addition to all her other meds, she is taking antibiotics (poor thing!) and has a re-check x ray scheduled in two weeks.

        Second, regarding heart size, the cardiologist said her heart disease obviously worsened over the summer since her first episode of CHF (she's had three episodes between July and October). While I know she will have to be on meds probably the rest of her life, how much "room" is left for the heart to improve? How do you judge how close this heart is to a "normal" heart? I know these are questions I need to ask the cardiologist, so here am just looking for some feedback or other experiences.

        I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving, please hug all you kitties for me! I know that this Thanksgiving was particularly special as I was not counting on Carmen to be here with me, let alone with such good progress.

        Kind Regards,
        Ildiko (with Carmen and Miranda)