Unclassified Cardiomyopathy

  • Ildiko
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2009
      Hi everyone,

      Am realizing that Carmen's diagnosis back in August during her first episode of CHF was "Unclassified Cardiomyopathy"..can anyone shed anymore light on what this means? The cardiologist was surprised after her CHF episode that her heart murmur was so mild. I read online that they often use the "unclassified" territory to define heart disease that may be in progression and they are unsure what it will end up being.

      Also, any feedback from anyone who had a kitty that suffered multiple episodes of CHF? This is Carmen's second episode since July. Caught very early, before any breathing that was too labored, just noticed a fever and that she wasnt acting right. Shes in the hospital since last night and am hoping and praying a medication adjustment will do the trick, she was doing seemingly so well on 1/2tab lasix and one tab enalapril just once a day..

      I am eagerly awaiting your kind input, this board is an amazing resource and my prayers to all of you dealing with your heart kitties

      Ildiko
    • JpG
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2009
        I never heard of that term but think that our little April had the same condition. Even when she got a saddle thrombosis we discovered she had HCM. The thing is she didnt have a heart murmur.

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2009
          Hi

          Cats can have severe HCM without any murmur or mild HCM with a grade 3
          murmur. I've found the murmur isn't related to the prognosis in my cats, but
          the echocardiogram measures the thickness of the walls and that's a better
          indication.

          The important thing is stability. That requires medication in most cases
          and is the best we can hope for. Trixi had a huge heart attack a few months
          ago and has survived it against almost impossible odds. I know that any day
          she could have another, and her signs were mild as well, just increased
          breathing and then a few hours later crashing into heart failure.

          We learn to be vigilant. I count breaths but I try not to do so all the
          time or it would drive me crazy with the heart kits. If she had a fever, most
          likely she had an infection and that is never good with heart kits. I use
          metacam when needed to bring the fever down and get them to the vet as soon
          as. I find that the heart cats get infections much worse than the others.

          Hang in there.. it's not unusual to have several episodes of heart failure.
          Its a case of keeping the meds on top of the condition and keeping a wary
          eye out.

          LYn :)

        • Westgold
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2009
            Yes, you are right. Some cats with HCM have no murmurs at all -- and some, like my Tigger, have a 3-4 murmur, but mild HCM that has been stable for almost 5 years now. But it can turn on a dime, as my vets keep warning me. So we do have to be vigilant.

            What kind of infections are you referring to? Tigger has herpes, and had bordatella when I bought him, but that was cured and he hasn't had anything else since he was 6 months old.

          • rainycat@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2009
              I guess you need to discuss the dx /your cardiologist / vet-ask for explanation in more detail. my Tim was unclassified but only because his heart was so far damaged at the point we dx- perhaps the dx is not accurate for you? -if Kitties murmur is mild,.I don't think unclassified may be a proper dx ( unless you have had an ultrasound) but then again, I am not a vet.. usually there are levels of caridomyopathy... unfort w/HCM, seems the lasix dance w/ the dx very is common and the norm, lots of kitties live many years w/mild hcm that is controlable. Every kitty is different from my experience w/ 3 cases of hcm in my household. Just love, do the best you can, be aware of your kit and his respiratory status & his breaths as CHF is such a silent phantom, and be as informed that you can so that you can give the best care and advocate for your fur friend as every hcm case can be so very diff from the others. Much love, and positive thoughts, prayers to your and yours.

              rain