Skylar update CHF - (Was Lasix help)

  • moonpye
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2009
      Thank you much to everyone that wrote to us about the Lasix.:)

      For those who don't know, Skylar was dx'd early 2006 with mild HCM and
      Hyperthyroidism, his HCM has progressed to severe RCM. Skylar went to have
      his digital xrays at the cardiologist 2 weeks ago and he did have fluid
      building up - (CHF) Congestive Heart Failure. The cardio said I caught it
      very early...(before it could be detected by stethoscope, or any coughing,
      open mouth breathing, or heavy labored breathing).

      The cardio could not hear any fluid thru the stethoscope and Skylar's
      heartrate was good, as were the breaths per minutes. The cardio thought he
      looked good and his breathing was good... .but... I said I didn't like the
      way his breathing look, kind of a little labored and shallow and also the
      effort it took to breathe in and out was not right to me. So, then the
      cardio did chest xrays and there was fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema)
      and around/outside the lungs (pleural effusion) and then an abdominal
      ultrasound, fluid in the abdomen (ascites), mild he said, since it
      was caught early... we got a Lasix injection and Lasix pills...

      By always counting the breaths per minutes, and by noticing there was a
      change in Skylar's normal breathing it was caught early... I remember Lisa,
      Nala and Sue have written that they could detect subtle changes in the way
      breathing looked, and I knew that his didn't look right to me..

      If your kitty is breathing a little labored, not usual for them, and
      something doesn't seem right to you, please get chest xrays from your
      cardiologist and even an abdominal ultrasound.

      Skylar's BPM's were about 24, heartrate 148...a couple of times the BPM's
      were 32.
      And for a couple of days he didn't want to eat much and was lethargic,
      he could not get comfortable and started sleeping on hard surfaces in up
      positions, was also trying to hide..
      The cardio always asks if there has been any vomiting (which there wasn't)
      so remember that too regarding CHF. I thought this may have been from his
      IBD, as well it could have been b/c he went HypO and his T4's crashed and he
      became ESS Euthyroid Sick Syndrome, (long story). But it was CHF..

      Skylar as well had been losing weight, but there were a few ounces gained
      which must have been the CHF. I have always found it extremely valuable to
      have a scale to weigh the kitties, so you can catch any abnormal loses or
      gains of ounces and by keeping a weight chart for each kitty. Skylar gets
      weighed almost everyday. I use a postal scale and and I place a box
      on it, I use the tare function to delete out the weight of the box.

      A question - Is anyone using more than 500mg Taurine a day for your kitty
      who has CHF and is taking Lasix?

      Today's recheck and chest xrays at the cardio - all fluid is gone (Yay):)
      and will try and reduce Lasix. Renal Panel good. EKG good, his
      SVT Arrhythmia is still the same. We had a very good checkup today.:)

      Thank you all for being here ^..^
      Love and Hugs,
      Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar