Re: [feline-heart] Krista

  • Malapoo2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2001
      Krista,

      I think you did the right thing. I work at a vets and we had a cat with
      heart/fluid trouble - her owner is completely opposed to euthanasia (and I
      could tell you a horror story about her dog) so as time passed we were
      tapping the cat's chest two or three times weekly - she even collapsed and
      tried very hard to die one time - we would get anywhere from 100 to over 200
      cc's of fluid out of her chest every time! Having had pneumonia, pleurisy
      and several other lung ailments, I can tell you it is NO FUN being unable to
      breath and having pain each time you try - you get SO EXHAUSTED because all
      your energy is focused on air. We did finally talk this woman into letting
      us euthanize the cat, and while I liked the cat a lot, I was so very happy to
      release her from the pain her life on earth had become.

      I know that once they're "drained" and get some oxygen therapy, they seem
      perkier and those second thoughts creep in, but if that comfort only lasts
      two or three days, odds are it WILL NOT get better - only worse and living at
      the vets is no life for a cat and you're probably talking days not even weeks.

      So try not to beat yourself up about letting go -I think you did something
      loving & unselfish by letting her be free of pain.

      Kaye & Bean
      Advance NC