Re: [FH] Hello Feline Heart Group !

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2009
      Hi "sorose15";

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "sorose15" <sorose15@...>
      > I've joined because my little 6 pound Winky was born with a ventricular
      > septal defect (hole between 2 chambers in >her heart)and now has developed
      > polycythemia ('thick' blood from too many red blood cells). Winky is 12
      > now.

      My how time flies. We took Pepper in as a foster cat in October of 2007,
      and he was supposedly four months old at that time. That means he is now
      two years and four months old..........we were told his prognosis was six
      months if I remember correctly, when he was diagnosed with septal ventral
      defect that was inoperable:
      http://pat-fearlessfosdick.blogspot.com/

      As you have managed to keep your cat alive this long, you are obviously
      doing all the right things so far, especially as we have been watching
      Pepper come close to angina attacks through the hot weather. You give us
      hope that this 'worry' could go on for years. (-;

      Pepper always finds litter box excursions hard and has gasped for air for
      years. We just try to be around to shoo him out of the box and clean it so
      that his exertion levels are kept as low as possible. The hard breathing
      has been going on for about a year if I remember correctly, and while I do
      understand your concern, I am wondering if your girl has developed the
      seriousness that we are dealing with yet. You may have been luckier up to
      this point.

      For soft stools we use FortiFlora from the vet's office. It works well and
      quickly which lowers the stress level for all. Before that came out we used
      Pro Pectalin that controlled stool consistancy but didn't stop the issue
      from having to be addressed. Pepper's soft stools have been resolved for a
      long time. My understanding is that you have fluids spilling into the GIT
      rather than collecting around the lungs or heart, and for us this has been a
      very GOOG thing, as something we can easily control.

      HTH.....Pat and all the boys
      http://petfoodpitfalls.blogspot.com/
    • Jo
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 9, 2009
        Hi

        I'm wondering if a blood thinner would be useful for Winky, perhaps some of
        the other members with more experience would be able to help. It would seem
        a logical thing to me, but then I'm not a vet. One of the supplement type
        ones I would have thought.

        Good luck
        Regards
        Jo

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2009
          Welcome to the group. Wow.. Do you ever have your hands full! My heart goes out to you and to Winky. I think you'll find good advice on this group. I know I have.
              I've never heard of open mouth breathing while having a bowel movement, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I do know that you have to watch for that with cats with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which is what my cat Winston has because it's indicative of other problems. How long did she have that for? It might indicate pain. That's something I would check with her doctor about.
            Cathy & Winston

          At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities. ~Jean Houston

          I've joined because my little 6 pound Winky was born with a ventricular septal defect (hole between 2 chambers in her heart)and now has developed polycythemia ('thick' blood from too many red blood cells). Winky is 12 now. She was born with only one eye, but it doesn't work, so she is blind.

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 10, 2009
            Hi Cathy and Group;

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 10, 2009
              Hi,
              This is interesting - my Serval was born with v. septal defect too - mitral valve regurgitation. Since Winky has thick blood, maybe my Serval does too. He has open mouth breathing when playing, or too hot. What were the instructions on giving Nattokinase when he is also getting Coq10? Are these the two that work opposite of each other? What would be the dose for a 35+ lb cat?
              thanks,
              Faye