Hello Feline Heart Group !

  • sorose15
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2009
      I've joined because my little 6 pound Winky was born with a ventricular septal defect (hole between 2 chambers in her heart)and now has developed polycythemia ('thick' blood from too many red blood cells). Winky is 12 now. She was born with only one eye, but it doesn't work, so she is blind.

      Things are getting complicated with Winky. She needs a phlebotomy treatment (withdrawing some of her thick blood and replacing with 'crystalloids'(?) to make it closer to normal thinness) every 8 - 10 weeks now and the last time she stopped breathing during the procedure, so they had to intubate her. She keeps recovering (last time it took 10 days) and doing well afterwards. But - I wonder - are there other things I can be doing to help her - supplements, something ? I see alot of things mentioned in your messages that I know nothing about. Also - I apologize for bringing up this function - but she has a very difficult time with bowel movements. I give her lactulose twice a day(stool softener) but lately it hasn't been doing the trick. On Friday she was actually open-mouth breathing after a bowel movement. I was beside myself with fear. Has anyone had that kind of experience with their heart cat ? Is there anything I can do to make things better.

      I'm new to being in a Group. But I am thankful for any information anyone might share about the conditions that my precious Winky has. Take care.
    • Pat
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 9, 2009
        Hi "sorose15";

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2009
          Hi

          I'm wondering if a blood thinner would be useful for Winky, perhaps some of
          the other members with more experience would be able to help. It would seem
          a logical thing to me, but then I'm not a vet. One of the supplement type
          ones I would have thought.

          Good luck
          Regards
          Jo

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2009
            Welcome to the group. Wow.. Do you ever have your hands full! My heart goes out to you and to Winky. I think you'll find good advice on this group. I know I have.
                I've never heard of open mouth breathing while having a bowel movement, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I do know that you have to watch for that with cats with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which is what my cat Winston has because it's indicative of other problems. How long did she have that for? It might indicate pain. That's something I would check with her doctor about.
              Cathy & Winston

            At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities. ~Jean Houston

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 10, 2009
              Hi Cathy and Group;

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 10, 2009
                Hi,
                This is interesting - my Serval was born with v. septal defect too - mitral valve regurgitation. Since Winky has thick blood, maybe my Serval does too. He has open mouth breathing when playing, or too hot. What were the instructions on giving Nattokinase when he is also getting Coq10? Are these the two that work opposite of each other? What would be the dose for a 35+ lb cat?
                thanks,
                Faye