Re: [FH] Willow - Newly diagnosed HCM

  • Kristen G
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 8, 2009
      Hi (?),  I know how scary the diagnosis can be.  Please try not to focus on the number of months that Willow may/may not have left.  She doesn't know it, and you don't want to stress her out!  She might be hiding under the bed just from the stress of the last few weeks.  It is a great that you have already found a cardiologist and have a definite diagnosis because now you can focus on getting the right meds for Willow and knowing what to watch for.  I don't know anything about blood clots, so I can't help you there.  Hopefully some other members with experience will offer some good advice.  Kitties with heart problems can lose weight quickly, so coaxing her to eat is important.  Also, watch her breathing as fluid in the lungs can be very bad and avoid giving steriods because that can harm the heart.

      Hugs to you and Willow,
      Kristen

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8, 2009
        Hi,

        I agree its best to focus on the time you have, and not worry so much about how long she might have.

        We lost out cat April to HCM and saddleblock, but didnt know she had it till she got the clot. If I knew I would have just taken each day at a time. She had been under stress from the other cats.

        As far as the clots, I understand they typically form weeks before the saddleblock. Something like a fall or jump can then cause the thrombosis. As an example the morning April got the saddleblock, she earlier took a huge jump from her window perch to the tub. In speaking with an HCM researcher I discovered that the act of jumping is what may have caused her to get the saddleblock. But the clot had formed in her weeks before.

        Our emergency room vet said we should put her to sleep right away. We fought it hoping that she would get better. Sadly, she got a clot then in her right paw the next morning. It is hard to deal with 11 months later after her passing.

        As far as hiding under the bed, I think cats like to hide when they feel sick. As an example, Beanie, a 10 year calico had suffered a bad fall last December. When we took her home, she began to hide in the closet. Our doctor said its nothing to worry about as long as she is eating. She also began to hide under the sink. To help her feel comfortable, I put a few blankets in the closet and a cat bed under the sink. Eventually she came out and recovered. But whats cute is that she still likes to go in the closet just for comfort. Before her fall she never went into the closet. One thing we did was to give her treats and just talk to her and pet her.

        All the best,

        Joe and Edith

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Kristen G <apacheadd@...> wrote:

        > Hi (?),  I know how scary the diagnosis can be.  Please try not to focus on the number of months that Willow may/may not have left.  She doesn't know it, and you don't want to stress her out!  She might be hiding under the bed just from the stress of the last few weeks.  It is a great that you have already found a cardiologist and have a definite diagnosis because now you can focus on getting the right meds for Willow and knowing what to watch for.  I don't know anything about blood clots, so I can't help you there.  Hopefully some other members with experience will offer some good advice.  Kitties with heart problems can lose weight quickly, so coaxing her to eat is important.  Also, watch her breathing as fluid in the lungs can be very bad and avoid giving steriods because that can harm the heart.
        >
        > Hugs to you and Willow,
        > Kristen

      • Judi Levens
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 9, 2009
          Hi: I don't know about the blood clots in Willow's heart, but I do know that if they were giving her any steroids for her asthma that this can cause congestive heart failure and also cause the echo to appear worse than the disease actually is. My cat had this experience...he went into CHF from steroids for asthma and was diagnosed with severe heart disease (HCM) but after being on meds for 6 months (lasix and enalapril) his next echo showed mild to moderate heart disease, and he now does fine with just enalapril...worth checking out...good luck...Judi and Max

          To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
          From: rockymtnhi68@...
          Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 17:55:20 +0000