Re:Looking for some Atenolol

  • Elegantzebra
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2009
      My boy had his echocardiogram at a regular vet, with a mobile ultrasound vet, and an outside consulting internist to read the tests. They all claim they can't give a prescription, even though the internist said he would benefit from Atenolol. So how am I supposed to get it if none of the vets can give me a prescription. And the echo was not done correctly either, there should have been more views. So the whole traumatic episode was for nothing. So why go through all that if no one can give the medication he needs?? <sigh>

    • carolroars
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2009
        Are they serious!!!?? ANY vet can give you a prescription for Atenolol. We had Snowball's ultrasound done by a mobile cardio vet who takes his equipment from vet to vet. He told us the same thing, give her Atenolol, and that our regular vet can give us the prescription.

        Maybe your vet doesn't have the medication there at his office, but he certainly CAN give you a prescription that you take to the regular pharmacy (or compounding pharmacy if you need it made into portions or liquid). Now it may be that he doesn't WANT to, and why he wouldn't want to is anyone's guess. I would demand (nicely) that he provide you with the prescription.

        Tell him to call it in to Vetcentric.com's pharmacy. That's how we get Snowball's transdermal Tapazole and they carry just about every med there is. They're in Maryland and ship all over the U.S. Here is the website. http://vetcentric.com/ and here is their address and phone number.
        Vetcentric Pharmacy
        2409 Peppermill Dr., Suite K
        Glen Burnie, MD 21061
        866-838-2368

        I'm sorry this is happening to you. I've had worse experiences with vets myself, and I know how frustrating it is.

        hugs,
        Carol and Snowball and the gang

      • MekaNoel@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 8, 2009
          Hi,

          My boy Nikko takes Atenolol and I get it at Target for $4. I just have?his vet call it in to Target. Then when it's ready i go pick it up.

          Linda and Nikko

        • toomany_kittys
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2009
            Hi everyone,
            It is with great sadness that I post that Luigi suffered a saddle thrombosis on the morning of August 18th. I found him when I got home from work in the morning. I rushed him to the ER where bloodwork indicated that he had also gone into acute renal failure. The vets said that even with heparin he would have only lived for a few more days in pain, so I held him close and said goodbye.
            Luigi was a very cool cat - my little dream kitty.
            Every night I would wake up with his cheek on mine with him purring - his breath a whisper of a breeze on my cheek.

            He had a wonderful last few months and was completely asymptomatic, so this came as a shock.

            I would like to express my gratitude to the members of this list who helped us so greatly when he went through a very rough period a few years ago. Lisa, Sue (and angel Pepper), Leah, Nala and Rosemary greatly helped with sharing their knowledge.
            Thank you to everyone for your endless support during his illness.
            El