Re:Possible FIP

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2009
      Hi Lynn

      I am sorry to hear Buddy may have FIP. What tests has he had done to
      suspect this? If it's the corona titre, it just says the cat has been exposed to
      the corona virus and I`ve had sky high titres in the past which are back to
      zero within months.

      Is he showing signs of FIP? Wet FIP is fairly obvious, dry is not. I assume
      they'll run the protein blood tests to confirm the possibility. Dry FIP
      does have a treatment, but it's only about 25% success rate sadly. It was
      researched by Dr Addie in scotland and she used Beta interferon with some
      success.

      How old is Buddy? FIP is more likely in younger cats. I am so sorry, I hope
      it's just an infection..

    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2009
        Hi.. this reply from Debbie was for the group..:)

        I had the same concern about my cat Nigel. He has megacolon, and when I
        posted to the yahoo megacolon group, they said that the FIP test is not very
        accurate. Most cats get exposed to it at some point in their lives so
        they'll have antibodies, which does not mean they're infected.

        The FIP test was done before megacolon was diagnosed, and when xrays were
        done that showed the megacolon, there was no further talk of FIP.

        FIP is more of a problem for kittens with weak immune systems.

        Debbie

      • Pat
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2009
          Hi Debbie and All;

          The best site for up to date information is anything that comes out on Dr
          Addie's location:
          http://www.dr-addie.com/
          As she puts it on that website, FIP can be a "consequence" of coronavirus
          which is what is common in cats. The test for Coronavirus is what
          veterinarians can do, but it can't tell you whether the cat has flipped to
          FIP, which only happens with unusual stresses on the body, (physical,
          starvation, etc).

          The Winn Foundation also has good information and they are talking about
          possible treatment for the dry form, however, again, it is hard to diagnose
          in order to know what one should be treating the cat for:
          http://winnfelinehealth.blogspot.com/2009/08/potential-treatment-for-fip.html
          "Feline infectious peritonitis (FIP) is a baffling and clinical important
          disease of cats caused by a virulent biotype of feline coronavirus. Despite
          the fact that the disease is relatively common, veterinarians are faced with
          a frustrating dilemma because there are no individual tests that are
          reliable for the diagnosis of FIP, the clinical picture is highly variable,
          and there is no known effective treatment."

          Hopefully that will clear up any misunderstandings about this disease, and
          AFAIK the best preventive is to ensure you have clean litter boxes and the
          cats have a steady predictable routine that doesn't cause sudden fear or
          major stress. THAT would be how an immune system would be vulnerable, but I
          have never seen FIP described as below in several years of moderating a
          group.

          We have two cats with weakened immune systems, (FIV+ and former diabetic),
          but I have no worries that they will contract FIP because even though we
          have a multi cat household, we have eliminated any way that Coronavirus
          could flourish. Even when we moved and Hamlet spiralled out of control with
          his diabetes, I was not in fear of him contracting FIP at all.

          Pat and all the boys
          http://petfoodpitfalls.blogspot.com/