Possible FIP

  • lkubiak1212
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2009
      Hi everyone my news from the vet today is not to good. He thinks Budddy has FIP on top of his HCM. I got him to eat several times yesterday and today. I bought Fancy feast and some fresh Talopia steamed it and blended it. He thinks this is yummy. I have to wait two more days he ran another blood test. I realize that that to be 100% accurate the cat has to die,but they can be fairly accurate. Lynn
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2009
        Hi Lynn

        I am sorry to hear Buddy may have FIP. What tests has he had done to
        suspect this? If it's the corona titre, it just says the cat has been exposed to
        the corona virus and I`ve had sky high titres in the past which are back to
        zero within months.

        Is he showing signs of FIP? Wet FIP is fairly obvious, dry is not. I assume
        they'll run the protein blood tests to confirm the possibility. Dry FIP
        does have a treatment, but it's only about 25% success rate sadly. It was
        researched by Dr Addie in scotland and she used Beta interferon with some
        success.

        How old is Buddy? FIP is more likely in younger cats. I am so sorry, I hope
        it's just an infection..

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2009
          Hi.. this reply from Debbie was for the group..:)

          I had the same concern about my cat Nigel. He has megacolon, and when I
          posted to the yahoo megacolon group, they said that the FIP test is not very
          accurate. Most cats get exposed to it at some point in their lives so
          they'll have antibodies, which does not mean they're infected.

          The FIP test was done before megacolon was diagnosed, and when xrays were
          done that showed the megacolon, there was no further talk of FIP.

          FIP is more of a problem for kittens with weak immune systems.

          Debbie

        • Pat
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2009
            Hi Debbie and All;

            The best site for up to date information is anything that comes out on Dr
            Addie's location:
            http://www.dr-addie.com/
            As she puts it on that website, FIP can be a "consequence" of coronavirus
            which is what is common in cats. The test for Coronavirus is what
            veterinarians can do, but it can't tell you whether the cat has flipped to
            FIP, which only happens with unusual stresses on the body, (physical,
            starvation, etc).

            The Winn Foundation also has good information and they are talking about
            possible treatment for the dry form, however, again, it is hard to diagnose
            in order to know what one should be treating the cat for:
            http://winnfelinehealth.blogspot.com/2009/08/potential-treatment-for-fip.html
            "Feline infectious peritonitis (FIP) is a baffling and clinical important
            disease of cats caused by a virulent biotype of feline coronavirus. Despite
            the fact that the disease is relatively common, veterinarians are faced with
            a frustrating dilemma because there are no individual tests that are
            reliable for the diagnosis of FIP, the clinical picture is highly variable,
            and there is no known effective treatment."

            Hopefully that will clear up any misunderstandings about this disease, and
            AFAIK the best preventive is to ensure you have clean litter boxes and the
            cats have a steady predictable routine that doesn't cause sudden fear or
            major stress. THAT would be how an immune system would be vulnerable, but I
            have never seen FIP described as below in several years of moderating a
            group.

            We have two cats with weakened immune systems, (FIV+ and former diabetic),
            but I have no worries that they will contract FIP because even though we
            have a multi cat household, we have eliminated any way that Coronavirus
            could flourish. Even when we moved and Hamlet spiralled out of control with
            his diabetes, I was not in fear of him contracting FIP at all.

            Pat and all the boys
            http://petfoodpitfalls.blogspot.com/