New Member - Rocky Wagner

  • PatWagner
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21, 2009
      My cat Rocky (now 9 years old) had a pacemaker placed over five years ago for an AV block, and it has been a great success allowing him to have a normal life with no meds, and he has not had any more fainting (syncope) since it was placed. Truly a blessing. Early in July, however, he was diagnosed with Lymphoma, and we opted to try the chemo which appears to be working. Last night though when I came home, he was breathing very hard, and we took him into emergency where they have diagnosed him with right side heart failure; he had fluid in his chest cavity which they were able to tap. It was almost fatal for him because of his labored breathing, but he pulled through. This morning, the Vet called and said he is much better and eating like a pig. Although he is probably on his 39th life this time, I know we have a limited time left for him between the Lymphoma and now the heart failure. He is on Lasix for the fluid, and I speak to the Cardiologist on Sunday for more information after all the tests are completed. But, we are grateful that Rocky has had as much time as he has had since the pacemaker, and now we will just take it one day at a time to monitor his quality of life and comfort. We believe we will know when it is time to make that last decision, but I don't think Rocky is ready to go since he just keeps coming back after all these terrible diseases keep trying to take him down. I originally named him Rocky the Flying Squirrel, but I think he is really Rocky Balboa because he is such a fighter. I will pick him up on Sunday to bring him home so we must appreciate him for the time he has left.
    • m3cflvi
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 21, 2009
        Hi Pat

        What a brave and strong cat he is. I think it is an appropriate name for him. I am glad he is doing better.

        I wish you the best and cherish those times with him like you said. Also post a picture so we can see this brave tiger.

        Joe