Update on Isabella

  • Mary Ruppert
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
      Hi,

      Isabella stayed the night at the vet. She was put on fluids and painkillers.

      The vet tech said that she does not see many kitties with "saddle thrombosis" go home. She suggested euthanasia.

      I am wondering if any of you did have a kitty who went through this and was okay.

      We are devastated and unsure what the right thing is to do.

      Thinking of you all,

      Mary
    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
        Hi Mary; I have not had this happen, but many people on this blog have. Several have cats who have survived and some did not.
        One thing that seems to make a difference is if the cat is in extreme pain (many are.) Then, often people elect euthenasia. If not, there are treatments which can work to break up the clot and the cat can recover. Since your cat has other challenges, you should decide with the help of a vet you truly trust what is the best thing to do. Good luck, I am so sorry for both of you.

        Judi and Max

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
          Mary, I am so sorry that Isabella and you are going through so much.  I have never had a cat with a clot myself.  I have read on here about cats that are able to recover.  Maybe you could go visit Isabella yourself today and see how she is doing.  Seeing you might make her feel better and you might be able to better gauge what to do -- is she in pain, is she suffering, is there a chance of recovery, etc.

          I'm thinking of you and Isabella today.
          Kristen

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
            Hi Mary,

            I'm so sorry for what you and Isabella are going through. I haven't had
            experience with a clot myself, though it's probably my biggest fear due to
            my kitty's severe heart enlargement and risk for it. From what I've seen on
            this list, some do make it through with a slow recovery period and some
            don't. With Isabella's age and other conditions (I don't know if she's
            stable or if they expect the cancer to overwhelm her in the not-distant
            future), her comfort and whether or not she seems to be in pain may be
            useful factors to consider - some kitties are in tremendous pain from clots
            and saddle thromboses, and others don't seem to be despite the impairment
            that is caused.

            I don't know if it matters, practically speaking, but in humans cancer also
            makes clotting events much more likely. I would be concerned about the IV
            fluids with heart disease, as they can be very hard on heart kitties and
            lead to fluid retention and congestive heart failure, but I'm curious as to
            whether or not the saddle thrombosis is due to her heart disease progressing
            or part of the cancer process. (If it's the cancer, the IV fluids wouldn't
            be as big of a red flag, although hopefully they're only using them
            as-needed and watching her respiration rate and for any fluid retention.)
            The stress of hospitalization or any pain she's in could also increase her
            risk of congestive heart failure (again, particularly if her heart disease
            did progress enough to be the cause of the clot) - my cousin's older kitty
            threw a saddle thrombosis right before Thanksgiving, which was the first
            they knew about her heart disease, and she made it through immediate
            treatment to come home and continue treatment out-patient. But a few days
            later my cousin came home and found her struggling to breathe, and she wound
            up dying that night of congestive heart failure. (Which she'd also never
            had, nor did she have immediately following the saddle thrombosis so she
            wasn't on lasix.) They were heartbroken, of course, and there's no way to
            know how fully she would have recovered from the saddle thrombosis if she
            hadn't gone into congestive heart failure. But based on her experience, that
            is something that I would want to watch out for with the stress already on
            her body - my kitty went into congestive heart failure abut two weeks before
            my cousin's got sick, and we didn't know he had heart disease until he was
            in the oxygen tank receiving treatment, and he came through that well and
            has been managed fine at home on lasix and other heart meds since. But the
            CHF is something that you want to catch as early as possible, and something
            I'd ask the vets about (in terms of signs to look for, such as counting
            Isabella's respiration rate while she's asleep, etc) if she comes home. It
            would be extra heartbreaking to think she's made it through all these crises
            to have something else crop up.

            I don't know if any of this is relevant or what may have changed since you
            emailed this morning - we'll be thinking about you and Isabella. I think
            Kristen had good advice when she suggested going to see her at the vet's -
            if she's in a place where you're unsure of what to do, seeing how she's
            feeling and doing may help you, and will certainly be comforting regardless
            to know that you visited and spent time with her. Whatever decision you
            make, given her vets' advice and how she's feeling, will be in her best
            interests and the right decision for both of you.

            Good luck, and I hope that no matter what Isabella is comfortable and not
            too stressed at the vet's - my heart kitty was happy as a clam in his oxygen
            chamber, just chilling out - as long as he wasn't being restrained for a
            test or poked with needles, he was pretty chill once he's there and settled
            in in his own little "room." We'll be thinking about you and Isabella.

            Jean

          • janie
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2009
              I sure hope she is better. Yes I had a cat with it in 1999 but this is
              2009. First he thinks it is a clot? He would be able to tell by the
              pulse or cold. My cats legs were cold. She was panting too. I dont
              know how far you want to go but it sounds like you need a
              cardiologist. Maybe even a vet who is in the emergency room and sees
              this. My vet was new and didnt see it and the er dr did. If you are
              near a university like in Indiana we have Purdue small animal hospital
              which is what he could send you to as an emergency and you have the
              best of all drs in one building. I am a little afraid of giving a
              heart cat fluids. If she is stable they need to do an ultra sound to
              determine what is wrong with the heart. You didnt say what kind of
              heart problem you had? If it was my Boomer I would be on my way to
              Purdue. I have had 5 cats with HCM and one threw a clot. I had a cat
              fall off the dresser and acted just like the one who had the blood
              clot. He just hurt his leg. I could tell the dif. Why does he say it
              is a clot? Your kitty is older I have my Boomer who is 15 and I pray
              every day she is still here and she isn't sick but I know being older
              is scary. I hope by this writing she is better and if you did decide
              to put her to sleep then it would be ok. I think she needs a vet who
              knows what he is doing. He said he had no experience in this cant he
              send you someplace. Prayers for you all. Lots of cats have recovered
              from this on this site and some dont but there is so many things to do
              but he sounds like he is guesing.Are you near a university who has vet
              school? Good luck and prayers for you and your kitty. Janie