Re: Misdiagnosed

  • m3cflvi
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 2009
      Hi

      First I am so sorry for your loss. It is especially hard with a misdiagnosis.

      Regarding the Prednisolo dosage. My cat Chelsea recently began coughing a lot and after a series of tests, the vet decided to put her on it. She receives 1 ML a day. I am a bit surprised that some vets are prescribing a higher dosage..such as 2.5. Note she is NOT an HCM cat.

      Before prescribing this medicine, the vet made sure that her heart as ok. She then X-rayed her to determine if she had a hairball. She didnt. During the visit, the vet then asked be to describe the nature of the cough. I found out that vomiting is different than a cough. To make sure it was a cough, the vet had me video tape the coughing episode to confirm it. We did confirm it was a cough.

      I also am surprised the vet initially didnt decide to do a test on her to see how her lungs were. My vet recommended such a test after learning it wasnt from a hairball. Basically the cats lungs are analyzed to see the problem and it costs about $700. I dont recall the name of it. We cannot afford the test, but it is good the vet recommended it in the first place. When your cat began to cough the vet should have recommended the test and the other steps I mentioned above. Chelsea's cough is much better as a result. By giving the test, the vet would have been able to narrow the reason for the cough.. That is ..is it asthma, or HCM. All these steps performed by my vet seem to go well beyond what these other vets did.

      This really makes me sad since some vets seem to do a better job of attempting to diagnose a problem.