Radiation for a CRF/Diabetic/Anemia/Pancreati tis cat – Urgent help!

  • My Mystere
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2009
      Hi,

      I’m posting this on several sites so pls forgive the potential repetition.

      My kitty Mystere has just been diagnosed w/an inoperable meningioma and our only option is radiation.  I need help w/the decision & wonder if anyone else has been through radiation?

      I’ve been told that he’d most likely need 20 doses of radiation.  It would be 5 days/week at UC Davis, CA – because that’s at least a 3hr round trip, it was suggested that he be hospitalized ea week w/me picking him up on the weekends (that arrangement sounds unbearable to me…I can’t imagine his stress at being in the hospital).  Also, he would have to go under anesthesia for ea treatment (20 times!)..

      Here’s the additional bad news…Mystere’s already frail condition:
      Kidney failure w/BUN=70 & Creatinine=3.0
      Diabetes managed w/insulin
      High blood pressure managed w/1/4 tablet Norvasc
      Pancreatitis managed w/1/4 Zantac
      Anemia = 32%, managed w/Aranesp
      Heart murmur – was ultrasounded by cardiologist this week for approval to have the CT so it was OK for this anesthesia
      He’s also on Azodyl, Dasuquin, & several holistic drops/pills
      He’s at least 16yrs old (was full grown when I adopted him 15 yrs ago)

      Because of the diabetes, steroids are not recommended to reduce inflammation.  I was told that meningiomas respond well to radiation.  They weren’t sure about cats, but for dogs radiation gave about 1 to 1 ½ additional years of life.  I was also told that the anesthesia is very hard on the kidneys & a balancing act to provide the necessary fluids w/o causing heart congestion (we were very fortunate that Mystere did well for the CT!).

      Early on this was diagnosed as “vestibular syndrome” that my vet said would resolve itself.  Mystere’s deteriorated very rapidly in the past 1 ½ weeks – now he can barely stand, is circling, trying to burrow, his “twisting” spells can occur every 2-3 minutes…I ache just writing this…
      I want to help him, but I don’t know if the radiation will work, how fast it will improve his quality of life…has anyone gone thru this kind of treatment?

      If you have any comments, pls respond ASAP – I have 2 appts on Mon: one w/the radiology oncologist for a consultation & the other w/the home euthanasia vet…I’m aching inside – I’m willing to do almost anything to help him, but I don’t know if this is just too much to ask of him.  Pls help!

      Thank you,
      Karen & Mystere