Pearlie

  • Mmayer11
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
      Pearlie died shortly after midnight.
      It was nearly midnight when I managed to get in touch with Dr Mark
      Carlson who works with another vet here in Roxbury about a mile and a half from my home. As the hours passed on Friday evening it was plain that even with all the "last chance" efforts earlier in the afternoon for Pearl at the vet who had been seeing us through this week, she was suffering, and struggling so to breathe...unlike Dr Carlson facility, he has an oxygen chamber, etc.... So Mark agreed to meet
      me at his office. If for nothing else then to give her an easier end. I asked him to
      come here, but he had what he needed at the office. It was such an imposition to ask him to come out for her at such an hour...she is not his patient, I
      could hardly push for anything further. So I took Pearlie in my arms
      rather than the carrier, b/c she was growing more and more traumatized by it as evidenced by her earlier trip in it that afternoon.
      I thought without the carrier, she might feel a bit better. But, no, the car was too much for her. In less than 2 minutes of the stressful travel she fell into an unconscious state. The vet confirmed a slight heart beat, but she was gone. And all I could think at that moment was no more pain for this poor gentle girl.

      I wish I could have done more...wish I had been smarter at spotting early signs weeks ago. As the weather grew increasingly hot and humid, I saw that Pearlie was resting more, and told myself it was the weather. Even with A/C, the change in the weather was a contributing factor for sure toward compounding a lung problem I didn't suspect she had. When she was checked in April we didn't see lung damage as we did with her two sons Izzy and Niezche. But then that vet wasn't looking for it. I thought he should, but the ultrasound confirmed that her heart was not impaired. He was satisfied, and I didn't insist on an x-ray of her lungs. Money played a factor in my decision to go along with him. Izzy's medical expenses the month before had been so high. I was already deeply in debt because of it. I still had to have Nietzche checked. So I let myself be persuaded by his confidence that an x-ray wasn't necessary. But I know now that I should have had him do it regardless. Without that knowledg to arm me these passed weeks, since she was cheerful and playful, and her appetite was huge, I didn't hear alarm bells ringing. I should have. In the end it was not Pearlie's heart, but her lungs and my failure to act soon enough that did her in.

      Thank you all for your support and prayers through Pearlie's ordeal. This group provides a great service for its members.

      Marianna

    • Karen Borga, NJ
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
        Dear Marianna,
        I am very sorry for your loss of Pearlie.
        As I have been reading your post it seems clear to me that you did as much as you could for Pearlie.
        It was disease that took her, not your lack of care.
        Many times we wish we could have done more, or done things differently. Our actions are based on our best intentions.
        Pearlie loves you for all the care and love you showered on her!

        If you would like to join in a moderated on-line pet loss support
        chat, the next scheduled chat is Sunday, 2-4 PM EDT.

        Karen Borga, APLB Certified
        Assistant Chat Host

        Pet Loss Chat Room regular schedule = Mon. Wed. Fri. 8 - 10 PM and
        Sunday 2-4 PM.
        Anticipatory Loss = 1st & 3rd Thursdays 8 - 10 PM EDT
        Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement
        http://www.aplb.org

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Mmayer11 <mmayer11@...> wrote:

        > Pearlie died shortly after midnight.
        > It was nearly midnight when I managed to get in touch with Dr Mark
        > Carlson who works with another vet here in Roxbury about a mile and a half from my home. As the hours passed on Friday evening it was plain that even with all the "last chance" efforts earlier in the afternoon for Pearl at the vet who had been seeing us through this week, she was suffering, and struggling so to breathe...unlike Dr Carlson facility, he has an oxygen chamber, etc.... So Mark agreed to meet me at his office. If for nothing else then to give her an easier end. I asked him to come here, but he had what he needed at the office. It was such an imposition to ask him to come out for her at such an hour...she is not his patient, I could hardly push for anything further. So I took Pearlie in my arms rather than the carrier, b/c she was growing more and more traumatized by it as evidenced by her earlier trip in it that afternoon.
        > I thought without the carrier, she might feel a bit better. But, no, the car was too much for her. In less than 2 minutes of the stressful travel she fell into an unconscious state. The vet confirmed a slight heart beat, but she was gone. And all I could think at that moment was no more pain for this poor gentle girl.
        >
        > I wish I could have done more...wish I had been smarter at spotting early signs weeks ago. As the weather grew increasingly hot and humid, I saw that Pearlie was resting more, and told myself it was the weather. Even with A/C, the change in the weather was a contributing factor for sure toward compounding a lung problem I didn't suspect she had. When she was checked in April we didn't see lung damage as we did with her two sons Izzy and Niezche. But then that vet wasn't looking for it. I thought he should, but the ultrasound confirmed that her heart was not impaired. He was satisfied, and I didn't insist on an x-ray of her lungs. Money played a factor in my decision to go along with him. Izzy's medical expenses the month before had been so high. I was already deeply in debt because of it. I still had to have Nietzche checked. So I let myself be persuaded by his confidence that an x-ray wasn't necessary. But I know now that I should have had him do it regardless. Without that knowledg to arm me these passed weeks, since she was cheerful and playful, and her appetite was huge, I didn't hear alarm bells ringing. I should have. In the end it was not Pearlie's heart, but her lungs and my failure to act soon enough that did her in.
        >

        > Thank you all for your support and prayers through Pearlie's ordeal. This group provides a great service for its members.
        >

        > Marianna

      • janie
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2009
          I am so sorry about Pearlie. I know how sad you are. Please take care.
          Janie