Re: [FH] Xylitol Sweetened & CoQ10 question

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 29, 2009
      Hi Marianna;

      Xylitol is created from fructose, (fruit and corn sugar), with one molecule
      added to it. When it hits the stomach it is quickly broken down by friendly
      gut bacteria and turns into fructose. My understanding is that xylitol may
      be toxic to dogs in that it triggers the pancreas to produce too much
      insulin, thereby creating a hypoglycemic episode in dogs that are
      specifically susceptible. I haven't heard anything about cats, other than
      that it reduces plaque, which should be very good for heart patients and
      their arteries. (-; The difference may be because cats don't have amylase
      in their mouths to break down simple sugars and don't show carb absorption
      in studies, (increased glucose in blood), that are presently coming out
      around carbs and cats.