Re: [FH] Introduction #2

  • Jean
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
      Hi Jan,

      I'm so glad that Tim is feeling better! I may or may not be someone whose
      experience with pimobendan you read about on the group - I don't post as
      much as I should, I'm almost always online/checking email via a mobile
      device and can't easily use the email address I'm subscribed to yahoo with
      through it, though I receive list emails forwarded to my real email account.
      So while I *should* get on a real computer more often to respond, I usually
      only wind up doing so in a timely manner when there's a cat in crisis or
      when it's something I actually have experience with.

      My RCM kitty had an amazing quality of life increase with pimobendan - he
      was only nine when he went into CHF and was diagnosed, and we tried
      pimobendan after he didn't tolerate his first cocktail of meds. (Including
      digoxin, though his dig levels were normal and they probably weren't part of
      the problem.) But I'm so grateful to that drug. Like Tim playing with a
      string, he got awfully spry once he was on his full dose! (Due to his
      previous issues I dawdled even starting him on it, wary of messing with a
      stable situation despite his heart needing more support, and we started him
      at once a day moving up to twice a day after seeing his response. But I
      think there was noticeable improvement in his energy level even after a week
      on the half dose.) He was in crisis and diagnosed in November (then in
      another crisis for the rest of November), and off the top of my head I don't
      remember exactly when he started the pimo - but he started chirping again
      and for a few months, he was acting like he was a few years younger, even
      wrestling and running around with my younger kitty.

      He's a bit less spry now than he was earlier this year, though I guess
      that's to be expected with the disease progression. (His four month follow
      up echo showed some progression, though he was classified as severe RCM to
      begin with, so the most important finding for me - since I expected his
      heart to be worse - was that in March he had contrast ("smoke") on his echo,
      a great breeding ground for clots to form - there hadn't been any contrast
      in November. None had formed at that time, thank goodness, and since he got
      so stressed by the exam that he needed an injection of lasix and an
      increased dose for a few days he's banned from further follow ups. But it
      was ironic, as the poor thing started wheezing like crazy (though his
      respiration rate never got crazy), that it was the pimobendan that had him
      feeling well and energetic enough to fight his exam. He'd done the same
      thing when having follow-up bloodwork the month before - though with no
      wheezing or CHF issues, just a warning to watch him closely due to his
      resistance - so neither the cardiologist or myself thought that it was worth
      the likelihood of destabilization from further exams.

      I know no two cases are alike, but just in case it's of any use to hear how
      another RCM cat is doing - I know it could all go wrong at any point, but
      Patches has been stable since the end of Nov (CHF/hospitalization/diagnosis
      November 10 and 11) and feeling GOOD since the end of December. He hasn't
      needed a lasix increase to keep his respiration rate stable (he was at 12.5
      mg 2x/day for the first week or two post-hospitalization and at 10 mg 2x/day
      since then), but I have no idea if the pimobendan has helped with that. (I'm
      thinking that anything that supports his heart can't HURT in keeping fluid
      from accumulating.)

      I hope Tim keeps improving, appetite-wise. We had a really rough go of it
      after his first set of meds made Patches so sick, so I sympathize with
      assist (and syringe) feeding and hydrating. It's good that he is eating SOME
      on his own - I hope that keeps improving as he feels better.

      Please keep us updated!

      Jean