Introduction #2

  • Jan Dunn
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
      Hi,

      My cat, Tim, also has RCM/CHF. He went down the food trail the same way Vizzy did. Tim is 16. He was diagnosed 4/8/09 with an ultrasound. I had originally taken him to the vet for constipation. They gave fluids along with the enema. Two days later he was breathing with his mouth open. That is when he was first tapped. He was tapped every two weeks until it was up to 250 cc for one tap. They told me to prepare myself. Then I read on the list someone using Pimobendan. It is used off label in cats. My vet consulted a feline cardiologist and things started to look up for Tim. Within a week he was feeling better. He is on a lot of drugs besides the Pimobendan. Diltiazem, lasix 12.5 twice a day, surfax (stool softener), Benazepril, Mirtazapine, Tumil-K, Fluids every other day 75ml and recently started Rutin. With all the drugs his kidneys are not happy. It was 50 ml of fluid every third day. It was after the Rutin and an increase in lasix that there is a substantial decrease to the amount of fluid when tapping. I am hoping he will no longer need tapping. My mother in law also has CHF and when she was tapped she said it did not hurt.

      I have not posted to the list before this, but have been reading it in digest form everyday. I also joined the assisted feeding list. I am feeding Tim four to five times a day. He does eat a very small amount of food on his own, but not enough to even sustain himself. So I help him. Last night was really great. He has a new toy that moves a string up and down. He was actually playing with it. He is feeling much better. He is still just bones and fur, but I am hoping he will soon start putting on weight. So much for preparing myself thanks to this list. I know it is inevitable, but we are buying quality time here. Thank you list!

      Jan and Tim

    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
        What a great story Jan...thanks for sharing and cheers to Tim! Judi and Max

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
          Hi Jan and Tim,

          This is wonderful to hear, thanks for sharing with us! I'm happy Tim is
          feeling better and playing with his new toy.:)

          Best to you and Tim!
          Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar

          On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Jan Dunn <JanD31@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > My cat, Tim, also has RCM/CHF. He went down the food trail the same way
          > Vizzy did. Tim is 16. He was diagnosed 4/8/09 with an ultrasound. I had
          > originally taken him to the vet for constipation. They gave fluids along
          > with the enema. Two days later he was breathing with his mouth open. That
          > is when he was first tapped. He was tapped every two weeks until it was up
          > to 250 cc for one tap. They told me to prepare myself. Then I read on the
          > list someone using Pimobendan. It is used off label in cats. My vet
          > consulted a feline cardiologist and things started to look up for Tim.
          > Within a week he was feeling better. He is on a lot of drugs besides the
          > Pimobendan. Diltiazem, lasix 12.5 twice a day, surfax (stool softener),
          > Benazepril, Mirtazapine, Tumil-K, Fluids every other day 75ml and recently
          > started Rutin. With all the drugs his kidneys are not happy. It was 50 ml
          > of fluid every third day. It was after the Rutin and an increase in lasix
          > that there is a substantial decrease to the amount of fluid when tapping. I
          > am hoping he will no longer need tapping. My mother in law also has CHF and
          > when she was tapped she said it did not hurt.
          >

          > I have not posted to the list before this, but have been reading it in
          > digest form everyday. I also joined the assisted feeding list. I am
          > feeding Tim four to five times a day. He does eat a very small amount of
          > food on his own, but not enough to even sustain himself. So I help him.
          > Last night was really great. He has a new toy that moves a string up and
          > down. He was actually playing with it. He is feeling much better. He is
          > still just bones and fur, but I am hoping he will soon start putting on
          > weight. So much for preparing myself thanks to this list. I know it is
          > inevitable, but we are buying quality time here. Thank you list!
          >
          > Jan and Tim

        • Cheryl
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
            Hi Jan & Tim,
            Thanks so much for posting! Vizzy actually ate about 7/8ths of a can of
            Fancy Feast last night and about half a can this morning, although he is
            still refusing his meds (who can blame him?). I am so pleased to hear about
            a kitty who is doing well with his RCM, even after so many taps and all the
            drugs/fluids. I second Jan's message - thanks so much to everyone on this
            list.

            Cheryl & Vizzy

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
              Hi Jan,

              I'm so glad that Tim is feeling better! I may or may not be someone whose
              experience with pimobendan you read about on the group - I don't post as
              much as I should, I'm almost always online/checking email via a mobile
              device and can't easily use the email address I'm subscribed to yahoo with
              through it, though I receive list emails forwarded to my real email account.
              So while I *should* get on a real computer more often to respond, I usually
              only wind up doing so in a timely manner when there's a cat in crisis or
              when it's something I actually have experience with.

              My RCM kitty had an amazing quality of life increase with pimobendan - he
              was only nine when he went into CHF and was diagnosed, and we tried
              pimobendan after he didn't tolerate his first cocktail of meds. (Including
              digoxin, though his dig levels were normal and they probably weren't part of
              the problem.) But I'm so grateful to that drug. Like Tim playing with a
              string, he got awfully spry once he was on his full dose! (Due to his
              previous issues I dawdled even starting him on it, wary of messing with a
              stable situation despite his heart needing more support, and we started him
              at once a day moving up to twice a day after seeing his response. But I
              think there was noticeable improvement in his energy level even after a week
              on the half dose.) He was in crisis and diagnosed in November (then in
              another crisis for the rest of November), and off the top of my head I don't
              remember exactly when he started the pimo - but he started chirping again
              and for a few months, he was acting like he was a few years younger, even
              wrestling and running around with my younger kitty.

              He's a bit less spry now than he was earlier this year, though I guess
              that's to be expected with the disease progression. (His four month follow
              up echo showed some progression, though he was classified as severe RCM to
              begin with, so the most important finding for me - since I expected his
              heart to be worse - was that in March he had contrast ("smoke") on his echo,
              a great breeding ground for clots to form - there hadn't been any contrast
              in November. None had formed at that time, thank goodness, and since he got
              so stressed by the exam that he needed an injection of lasix and an
              increased dose for a few days he's banned from further follow ups. But it
              was ironic, as the poor thing started wheezing like crazy (though his
              respiration rate never got crazy), that it was the pimobendan that had him
              feeling well and energetic enough to fight his exam. He'd done the same
              thing when having follow-up bloodwork the month before - though with no
              wheezing or CHF issues, just a warning to watch him closely due to his
              resistance - so neither the cardiologist or myself thought that it was worth
              the likelihood of destabilization from further exams.

              I know no two cases are alike, but just in case it's of any use to hear how
              another RCM cat is doing - I know it could all go wrong at any point, but
              Patches has been stable since the end of Nov (CHF/hospitalization/diagnosis
              November 10 and 11) and feeling GOOD since the end of December. He hasn't
              needed a lasix increase to keep his respiration rate stable (he was at 12.5
              mg 2x/day for the first week or two post-hospitalization and at 10 mg 2x/day
              since then), but I have no idea if the pimobendan has helped with that. (I'm
              thinking that anything that supports his heart can't HURT in keeping fluid
              from accumulating.)

              I hope Tim keeps improving, appetite-wise. We had a really rough go of it
              after his first set of meds made Patches so sick, so I sympathize with
              assist (and syringe) feeding and hydrating. It's good that he is eating SOME
              on his own - I hope that keeps improving as he feels better.

              Please keep us updated!

              Jean