RE: [FH] Introduction

  • Judi Levens
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 1, 2009
      Hi Cheryl and Vizzy; sorry you had to join this group, but I hope you will find some answers here. My cat has HCM, so I don't know about RCM. I can't offer any real advice to you, but I would probably take him into the vet. If he won't eat it gets serious fast. Is he drinking any water? When I had this problem with Max he would usually take a small amount of most of the things offered, and eventually (day 2 or 3) his appetite picked up again. He would eat baby food chicken as a last resort, but just a little. I don't know why Vizzy lost his appetitie...Max lost his after he went into CHF and through the emergency room trauma. I will say that when Max doesn't feel well he goes to another room, or under a bed so that we can't see him, so I'm guessing mayby Vizzy doesn't feel well. Sorry I cant help more, but my advice would be to get to the vet to see if he can find anything new or different. Good luck...Judi and Max

      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      From: cheryl@...
      Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 14:34:31 -0700
      Subject: [FH] Introduction

      Hello ~
      My Norwegian Forest Cat Vizzy was diagnosed with RCM/CHF on May 22 of this
      year. He is 9 years old (will be 10 in August). At the time of his
      diagnosis, he had been exhibiting no symptoms other than weight loss, which
      had occurred very slowly over several months. I attributed it to the
      upcoming summer and the heat (we live in Tucson, Arizona), when my cats
      usually eat less and start shedding their winter coats, and I feel terrible
      now knowing that it was something so serious. Vizzy has never been sick a
      day in his life.

      Vizzy's heart rate is severely chaotic - he had several runs of ventricular
      tachycardia during his initial cardiology exam. I'm an ICU nurse, and I was
      amazed at how awful his EKG looks (and how terrible his heart sounds).
      Honestly, there are hardly any regular beats at all. His EKG did improve
      somewhat after his first two weeks on medications, but the rate is still
      very irregular. He is currently on Lasix, Atenolol, Enalipril, and Plavix.

      I joined this list for moral support and to hear others' experiences with
      RCM. From what I have read, the typical life expectancy is from 3-12 months
      after diagnosis, although I am looking forward to hearing about exceptions
      to that rule.

      Yesterday, Vizzy stopped eating. He has been eating an all canned food diet
      (his choice) for several months before he was diagnosed, and he has always
      been a good eater. He takes his medications via pill pockets attached to
      his favorite treats (freeze dried salmon). He has refused his treats, his
      meds (which I have been giving manually), and a vast number of different
      kinds of canned food offered at various times throughout the day (dry food
      is down all the time). He has also refused baby food (usually a favorite)
      and just licked halfheartedly at human tuna and bonito flakes. He hasn't
      even wanted any of the typical "last resort" foods that everyone typically
      likes, like Sheba and the new Fancy Feast Appetizers.

      Is sudden anorexia a typical presentation of worsening RCM? He is not
      acting strangely other than not eating. I haven't noticed any unusual
      symptoms. His respiratory rate is within normal limits for him. He is
      spending more time in the guest bedroom, and he used to spend his days on or
      under the coffee table in our living room, so not a big stretch. I don't
      get the impression he is "hiding."

      Any advice/suggestions/information would be most appreciated. Thanks!

      Cheryl & Vizzy

    • Elfinmyst
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 14, 2014
        Hi

        I sent you a reply but I can't see it, so I hope you had some help over the weekend. You did absolutely everything right and getting a cardiologist and quick treatment is vital. The plavix will help to prevent clots and the lasix with the fluid. Heart disease can come out of the blue and you are now getting the treatment needed. Watch breaths, you are looking for a change in the rate or type at rest. Count for ten seconds and times by six and see what is normal when your cat is sleeping or resting , try and get a video of it. If it goes over 30, that's caution time, over 40 emergency as a rule, but any open mouth is always an emergency. Look for deeper breaths and when they pull their stomach in or any wheezing. You are in the right place here with lots of experience.

        Lyn

        www.furkids-selkirks.com:-)