Re: [FH] chylous effusion

  • Leah Ferron
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 2009
      Shelley,

      I don't think there are people with kitties here dealing with chyle that don't have heart problems so I wanted to be sure someone answered your question. However, whether the kitty has or doesn't have heart problems, the treatment will be the same. The rutin isn't so much for the fluid build-up as it is for the healing of the spot where the chyle is leaking, that is its main purpose. The lasix is for the fluid build-up.

      It is normal for your kitty to pee alot with lasix. Be sure that he has access to as much water as he wants, as he will need to replenish his fluids. The lasix doesn't just pull fluid from the chest, it pulls it from the whole body and it can dehydrate your kitty quickly.

      I am glad to hear that your kitty is breathing better with both meds. The rutin, however, usually does take a week to a month to really help, if it is going to at all. There really is no guarantee with rutin and chyle, although a lot of people through the years in this group have had good sucess with it. The general amount given is 500mg a day (minimum) for the rutin so if you could give it at least 3x/day with the 100mg tablets, that would be better. I know they are large tablets and I had some trouble with my kitty taking them so crushing them can be done too. You may at times need to back down on the lasix as the rutin starts working. Watch for dehydration as a sign.

      Just FYI, some kitties have had to stay on rutin for a long time to keep the healing process continual. Some have never gone off of it. There is no "normal" with chyle and rutin. I don't know if this information has helped at all but I hope so and feel free to ask more if you want/need to.

      Leah and her cats and Angel Alec