Vomitting liquid & mucus

  • Kathy Wood
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 2009
      Sangie acted really strange last night & wondering if you guys have insight.
      Brief history: she has mild asthma but not on any meds, has had HCM for
      years & on lasix, enalarpil, pemo & fragmin injections.

      She ate her dinner, went to lay down & acted a little uncomfortable.
      She gagged a little but nothing extreme. She then got up & I could tell
      she wanted to throw up but didn't. She started walking around the house
      like she was waiting for everything to situate itself in her so she
      could vomit, like letting out a gasp & sitting still. I knelt down &
      touched her tummy & could feel that something wasn't right & she meowed
      a bit when i touched her. She walked a little more & then spewed like a
      cup of liquid that was mixed w/white mucus. There was no food in it
      which was strange b/c she had eaten not long before that. She settled
      down & seemed to rest......maybe her breathing was a little heavier,
      hard to tell. I fed her a small amount about 2 hours later & she slept
      through the night ok. This morning I noticed her drinking much more
      than usual...........maybe b/c she lost so much liquid last
      night........I don't know.

      I worry about her b/c I know vomitting can be a sign of worsening heart
      or the asthma flair up. There's no coughing & I don't see extreme
      breathing problems (will watch her rate closer tonight). She just had
      her echo & radiograph & showed not much of a change but granted she does
      have "severe" (as the cardiologist says) heart problems (left atrial
      enlargement).
      This episode was just so sudden & I've never seen her do anything like
      this before.
      Kathy & Sangie-

      --
      Kathy Wood
      Executive Program Manager

      www.unc.edu/agep
      www.acsbe.org
      www.unc.edu/opt-ed
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 29, 2009
        Kathy,

        Does Sangie have kidney problems? What you described sounds a lot like what Snowball does sometimes. She'll throw up just this white, foamy mucous stuff, even though she may have eaten before that. No food will come up, just this gooey stuff. I'm not sure what it is, but have been told it could be an accumulation of stomach acid that is irritating the tummy and makes them throw up.

        If there are no kidney problems, the other thing that comes to my mind is if she does have asthma, it could be phlegm coming up from the lungs, not something that got vomited up from the stomach. If it was phlegm, I don't think it'd be so much volume though.

        The drinking a lot of fluids the next day, Snowball does that on days that she throws up a lot. She'll drink a lot, and normally she never drinks. It could be that Sangie is just replenishing her fluids, but I'd make sure her kidneys are okay though too.

        I hope she's doing okay now.

        hugs,
        Carol and Snowball and the gang

        Snowball in the garden
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o6bLwo5jPE
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxKQH2mM-d0

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Wood <woodsy@...> wrote:

        > Sangie acted really strange last night & wondering if you guys have insight.
        >--- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Kathy Wood <woodsy@...> wrote:
        >
        > Sangie acted really strange last night & wondering if you guys have insight.
        > Brief history: she has mild asthma but not on any meds, has had HCM for
        > years & on lasix, enalarpil, pemo & fragmin injections.
        >
        > She ate her dinner, went to lay down & acted a little uncomfortable.
        > She gagged a little but nothing extreme. She then got up & I could tell
        > she wanted to throw up but didn't. She started walking around the house
        > like she was waiting for everything to situate itself in her so she
        > could vomit, like letting out a gasp & sitting still. I knelt down &
        > touched her tummy & could feel that something wasn't right & she meowed
        > a bit when i touched her. She walked a little more & then spewed like a
        > cup of liquid that was mixed w/white mucus. There was no food in it
        > which was strange b/c she had eaten not long before that. She settled
        > down & seemed to rest......maybe her breathing was a little heavier,
        > hard to tell. I fed her a small amount about 2 hours later & she slept
        > through the night ok. This morning I noticed her drinking much more
        > than usual...........maybe b/c she lost so much liquid last
        > night........I don't know.
        >
        > I worry about her b/c I know vomitting can be a sign of worsening heart
        > or the asthma flair up. There's no coughing & I don't see extreme
        > breathing problems (will watch her rate closer tonight). She just had
        > her echo & radiograph & showed not much of a change but granted she does
        > have "severe" (as the cardiologist says) heart problems (left atrial
        > enlargement).
        > This episode was just so sudden & I've never seen her do anything like
        > this before.
        > Kathy & Sangie-
        >
        > --
        > Kathy Wood
        > Executive Program Manager
        > UNC-Chapel Hill AGEP
        > Department of Chemistry
        > Kenan Labs, CB#3290
        > p) 919.962.2509
        > f) 919.962.2388
        > kathy_wood@...
        >
        > www.unc.edu/agep
        > www.acsbe.org
        > www.unc.edu/opt-ed

      • Denise Newman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
          Hi Kathy,

          It definitely sounds like you need to get a complete blood test done on Sangie, including testing for hyperthyroidism. These symptoms could be CRF, hyperthyroidism, IBD, even diabetes.

          Denise

          ________________________________

          http://carolandstev eskitties. shutterfly. com/
          Snowball in the garden
          http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=0o6bLwo5jPE
          http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=yxKQH2mM- d0

          --- In feline-heart@ yahoogroups. com, Kathy Wood <woodsy@...> wrote:

          > Sangie acted really strange last night & wondering if you guys have insight.
          >--- In feline-heart@ yahoogroups. com, Kathy Wood <woodsy@...> wrote:
          >
          > Sangie acted really strange last night & wondering if you guys have insight.
          > Brief history: she has mild asthma but not on any meds, has had HCM for
          > years & on lasix, enalarpil, pemo & fragmin injections.
          >
          > She ate her dinner, went to lay down & acted a little uncomfortable.
          > She gagged a little but nothing extreme. She then got up & I could tell
          > she wanted to throw up but didn't. She started walking around the house
          > like she was waiting for everything to situate itself in her so she
          > could vomit, like letting out a gasp & sitting still. I knelt down &
          > touched her tummy & could feel that something wasn't right & she meowed
          > a bit when i touched her. She walked a little more & then spewed like a
          > cup of liquid that was mixed w/white mucus. There was no food in it
          > which was strange b/c she had eaten not long before that. She settled
          > down & seemed to rest......maybe her breathing was a little heavier,
          > hard to tell. I fed her a small amount about 2 hours later & she slept
          > through the night ok. This morning I noticed her drinking much more
          > than usual....... ....maybe b/c she lost so much liquid last
          > night....... .I don't know.
          >
          > I worry about her b/c I know vomitting can be a sign of worsening heart
          > or the asthma flair up. There's no coughing & I don't see extreme
          > breathing problems (will watch her rate closer tonight). She just had
          > her echo & radiograph & showed not much of a change but granted she does
          > have "severe" (as the cardiologist says) heart problems (left atrial
          > enlargement) .
          > This episode was just so sudden & I've never seen her do anything like
          > this before.
          > Kathy & Sangie-
          >
          > --
          > Kathy Wood
          > Executive Program Manager
          > UNC-Chapel Hill AGEP
          > Department of Chemistry
          > Kenan Labs, CB#3290
          > p) 919.962.2509
          > f) 919.962.2388
          > kathy_wood@. ..
          >
          > www.unc.edu/ agep
          > www.acsbe.org
          > www.unc.edu/ opt-ed

        • Kathy Wood
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
            Thanks to everyone for feedback.

            I had bloodwork done a few months ago & renal values were high normal
            (which is typical for Sangie), thyroid was ok & nothing really jumping
            out at the us. The liver values were a little elevated but the vet
            didn't seem extremely concerned given all the meds she's on I guess they
            figure things are relatively stable.
            I'll just keep an eye on her.
            Best,
            k & s-

            Denise Newman wrote:

            > Hi Kathy,
            >
            > It definitely sounds like you need to get a complete blood test done
            > on Sangie, including testing for hyperthyroidism. These symptoms could
            > be CRF, hyperthyroidism, IBD, even diabetes.
            >
            > Denise
            >
            > ________________________________

            Kathy Wood
            Executive Program Manager