lasix-beginners mind- zena

  • solarsinger008
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 10, 2009
      Hiya folks, Its been awhile since I've been on. Zena seemed to be stable on lasix (about 1-2 12.5 mg/day). I had been giving it to her with a "Daily Best' vitamin, some trace minerals, occasional taurine/coQ10, some yogurt, medley and nutriment wet food with KD crackers on the side. My question and concern is the amount of lasix-
      I've tried to cut it back to 1 pill but then she gets 'wheezy". First diagnosis (last june) was HCM (thickened heart muscle/asthma)- the cardiologist recommended atenelol, but she didn't respond well so the primary vet just put her on lasix which she is still on. Last week she had some type of 'spasm' episode, seemed to be heart but not sure, almost was going to bring her to ER, but then it worked itself out...
      Plan to take her to vets tomorrow, run blood tests but is there a gentler diuretic out there? If i wanted to retry atenelol, do i need to stop the lasix? Anything else I should discuss with vet?
      Hopefully the office visit will not put her over the top- she gets really stressed with cars and any type of loud noises, not to mention doc/docs!
      Thanks so much! Hugs and blessings to all of you who are struggling with their pets health!
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 13, 2009
        Hi

        There are alternatives to Lasix, but it is usually a combination. Lasix can
        be used with spironolactone or other diuretics and this means the Lasix
        may be able to be reduced. My Josh is on both and that's because he has
        kidney issues as well, so strong Lasix isn't an option.

        Lyn :)