HCM

  • gill7penny
    Message 1 of 78 , Jun 6, 2009
      Hi Judy and Lyn

      Thanks for your good wishes. I will definitely try to get someone to come with me next time Judy - thanks for that tip. I really think Sasha would have been better for not being confined, especially on the homeward journey.

      Thanks for the info on the meds Lyn, there was so much to take in yesterday that I didn't really pick up on how the aspirin and plavix worked differently, just that they would help prevent any clots. The aspirin are to be given 3 days a week and the plavix daily a quarter tablet each time. The aspirin and plavix whole tablets are 75mg.

      Sasha seems to be back to her usual self today which is encouraging. She has a little routine in the mornings which includes playing with and chewing my slippers and hiding and the jumping out at our other cat Snoopy. She has done both today and is now sleeping as it is raining and she can't go out in the garden, which is where she loves to be. She has tried all the outside doors in case it isn't raining at one of them!

      Gill and Sasha.
    • Dana Michelle
      Message 78 of 78 , Sep 8, 2013
        Deb:
        Sorry to hear you and your little boy have to deal with HCM.  I know it's a devastating diagnosis, and everyone here has felt that panic of not knowing how long you have.  My Tink was diagnosed when he was probably 11 years old, after a heart murmur was found during an exam. He wasn't placed on any medication for it until this year, when his blood pressure elevated and required Atenolol for treatment. The only other related medication he has been on is methimazole for hyperthyroidism.  He is also on a tiny dose of prednisone for arthritis issues (it's a terrible drug for a heart kitty, if there was a choice, but in his case it's a matter of quality of life over quantity of life...he's miserable without that medication).

        Over the years, we've had a couple of echocardiograms done, but it stresses him and I haven't kept repeating it. He has had more EKGs, even as recently as the beginning of this year, and a few years ago he needed a dental done, but the cardiologist read his EKG and said it was not safe to put him under anesthesia. His heart disease is obviously progressing based on the EKGs, but we've been very very VERY lucky overall.  Now for the good news. My sweet little snuggle bug celebrated his 21st birthday in April. We know his actual birthday within a 3-day window, as he was "7 to 10 days old" per the vet, when we found him and his sister abandoned and sick in a drainage ditch on the side of the road.  I bottle fed him, and he's my baby boy. :)   I really don't remember which year he was diagnosed, but it was close to the time his sister died from cancer, and they were just over 11 years old when she passed.  Somewhere around 10 years we've been aware of the HCM, and he is still with me.  I know we've been incredibly lucky, and I feel so blessed to still have him with me.

        Try to enjoy every day you have with your boy. None of us know how long we have, but sometimes we get very lucky, and get to spend more time with our babies. Keep an eye out for the warning signs that things are progressing and medical attention is required, but otherwise just enjoy your boy. :)  I tend to "lurk" on the list for the most part, but there are SO many helpful people here. If you have questions, just ask. This wonderful group has been GREAT support over the years, and I can't say enough wonderful things about these people.

        I hope you have many, many more wonderful years with your little boy! :)
        Dana and Tink (who is napping in the sunshine, stretched out on his giant cushion in the bay window)