Re: [FH] Co Q 10

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2009
      Michelle,

      The Cardio Strength (aka Heart Discovery) is a powder that comes in a
      capsule

      Sue & angels Pepper and Gandy
      with Nicholai, Lola-Joy and Isabella

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2009
        Hi there, I had read that it is much better to give the non-synthetic (natural) kind of CoQ10.

        So I give this CoQ10 (non-synthetic) one day:
        http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Vitaline-CoQ10/106021.aspx

        And then I had also read that CoQ10 is better absorbed when given with a little oil, so I use this kind one day (can't tell for sure if this one is non-synthetic or not)
        http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Vetri-Science-CoQsol/125056.aspx

        This seems to work well. I was giving cardiostrength, but I have problems with it because the pill is so big and my cats are little. It's too big to put down their throats. I tried putting it in their food and they wouldn't eat it. So I had it compounded, but it ends up so gunky-like compounded I didn't like that either. So I have been adding in sprinkled Taurine and L-carnitine in their food. I also have separate DMG liquid and Omega 3's.

        Donna

        > Hi everybody. Today I got my new issue of Clean Eating magazine, and there's an article about CoQ10 in it. It's meant for people, of course, but it stated that *everybody* who is on a statin drug or beta blocker should be taking CoQ10.
        >
        > So I'm ready to start Tigger on it now. The smallest dose I can find is 30 mg. It's a softgel. Tigger is impossible to pill, and if I tried to hold him down to force the issue, he'd probably have a little kitty heart attack. So I give him his beef-flavored liquid atenolol mixed in his wet food twice a day, along with l-lysine for his herpes.
        >
        > Can someone tell me what is a good starting dose of CoQ10, Tigg is almost 5 and weighs just about 10 lbs. Could I mix it in his wet food without him noticing, or does it taste terrible? Will I have to squeeze the contents of a softgel into the food, or is there a "dry" form available somewhere?
        >
        > All advice apreciated!
        > thanks much, Michelle & Tigger Too in Toronto

      • melzywi26
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 9 6:35 PM

          I am looking into getting co q 10 for Sassy. Just wondering what is the standard dose to give and how is it best given? Can it be mixed in with wet food without notice?  And what brands do you suggest? I have found some online for as much as $50 a bottle or as little as $10.  Not sure which I should stay away from?

          Also does it have to be given separate from binders?

          Thanks so much!

          Mel

        • Carol
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 9 10:43 PM
            If you're buying CoQ10, make sure it's ubiquinol and not ubiquinone.  Ubiquinone needs to be broken down in the usable form of ubiquinol, and cats can't do that very efficiently.  I buy Doctor's Best Ubiquinol, 50mg and give one of those twice a day.  The cost is about $20 a bottle from Vitacost.  http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?NttSR=1&ss=1&x=0&y=0&ntk=products&Ntt=doctor%27s%20best%20ubiquinol

            Also the wet form that has some oil mixed in is better absorbed than the dry powder capsules.

            It needs to be given WITH food that has some fat in it. CoQ10 is a fat soluble enzyme, so needs fat to be absorbed.

            Carol and Angel Misty

          • Carol
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 10 12:40 AM
              Oh, forgot about this... it doesn't need to be given away from the binders. The phos binders only bind with the phosphorus in the food and don't affect other nutrients.

              Carol and Angel Misty

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 11 7:30 PM
                Does anyone use softgels? Can they be broke and put into food?  I'm just worried about breaking them and then she doesn't want to eat her food because of the taste.  Then I've wasted $21 and I can't return them.  But that's all they had in the ubiquinol coq10.   I can squeeze 1/2 out at a time.

                Mel & The Gang
              • Vi Ha
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 11 7:40 PM
                  I squeeze mines into wet food and he eats them right up :-)

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Jul 11, 2014, at 7:30 PM, "mizmelzy76@... [feline-heart]" <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  Does anyone use softgels? Can they be broke and put into food?  I'm just worried about breaking them and then she doesn't want to eat her food because of the taste.  Then I've wasted $21 and I can't return them.  But that's all they had in the ubiquinol coq10.   I can squeeze 1/2 out at a time.

                  Mel & The Gang

                • Ana Gutierrez
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 12 3:21 AM

                    I've also squeezed them into his food. Some he likes, some he doesn't.
                    In my case, he "likes" the capsules from GNC and the soft gels from Lambert's.

                    Best,

                    Ana

                    On Jul 12, 2014 4:30 AM, "mizmelzy76@... [feline-heart]" <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    Does anyone use softgels? Can they be broke and put into food?  I'm just worried about breaking them and then she doesn't want to eat her food because of the taste.  Then I've wasted $21 and I can't return them.  But that's all they had in the ubiquinol coq10.   I can squeeze 1/2 out at a time.

                    Mel & The Gang

                  • Jill Santoriello
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 13 10:55 AM
                      My Gracie doesn't like it in her food so I squeeze the soft gels on her paws and she dutifully licks away!

                      Jill