Re: atenolol

  • Gretchen
    Message 1 of 45 , Jun 2, 2009
      Hi Shelley,
      I know Sue already responded about Atenolol, but I wanted to say hello and tell you I am new here too. One month ago my new rescue kitty, Tobias, was found to have a heart murmur as his general check-up. We went to the cardiologist and he had an echocardiogram and was started on Atenolol as well. I am now learning about heart issues, heart murmurs, heart disease and everything in between. At first I was stunned and devastated (and of course still am to some degree), but the more I learn about his condition (we won't know his overall prognosis until a repeat echo in 4-5 months) the better I feel about taking good care of him and being grateful for each day. I am glad you found this group - they have been a tremendous source of support and help and I plan to stay here for many months and years to come.
      I wish for the best prognosis for your wonderful kitty.
      Gretchen

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "shelleyleblanc71" <shelleyleblanc71@...> wrote:

      > hi, this might seem like a silly question but what is atenolol, and how does it function? yes, i'm the mother of a newly diagonosed heart kitty...

    • joanne marbut
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 21, 2012
        ACE inhibitors like Enalapril work on the blood veins and are used to keep all blood veins opened and to prevent the decreased size or the restriction on veins, especially in case of a heart attack. When the blood pressure declines due to a heart attack (or blood loss due to injury), the body shuts down all veins except those to the heart, head, and kidneys. Eventually-through release of enzymes, the angiotensin is created that shuts down all veins except the crucial ones. EXCEPT that in doing so it raises blood pressure and a damaged heart such as an HCM heart cannot handle the same volume of blood running through a more narrow channel which makes the heart circulate it faster and therefore pump harder to do so.  The ACE inhibitor inhibits the ACE properties from taking place, allowing the blood veins to remain open.

        Atenolol is a beta blocker which doesn't work on the blood veins but works instead on the heart. The result is much the same-no hypertension and an easing of the pumping of the heart.

        An HCM cat may need both. Mine is on both as well as lasix, Plavix, and spironolactone, and now aspirin.