Re: [FH] coQ10

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
      Shelly,

      Since there's a slight chance of stomach upset, you could introduce it
      slowly. The normal dose is 30mg daily. I did have a vet who recommended
      120mg daily but I couldn't get Pepper to consume that much.

      I liked the Vetri-Science product called Cardio Strength which is also sold
      as US Animal Nutritional's Heart Discovery (it's the same company - just one
      is marketed to consumers and the other to vets). While it only has 20mg of
      CoQ10, it also has several amino acids and other supplements that are really
      good for a cat. I'd just give two. If your cat likes fishy things, then
      try opening the capsule and mixing it in his food. Always keep in mind that
      if a medication or supplement discourages a cat from eating, then do not mix
      it in the food.

      Sue & angels Pepper & Gandy
      with Nicholai, Lola-Joy and Isabella

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
        I did forget to mention one thing. If you start giving CoQ10 and later
        decide to discontinue it, you'll need to wean your cat off of it slowly. A
        sudden drop could cause other health problems.

        Sue

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2009
          Hi

          Mine use Cardiostrength which includes CoQ10. My other heart cats use CoQ10
          at 30mg which I get from the health store. I`ve had 6 cats on it for
          several years with no side effects at all. It seems to work well :)

        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2009
            Hi Sue

            Can you explain what the health problem is when dropping CoQ10. When Trixi
            had her heart attack and went to the hospital, she missed it for a week and
            I didn't dare put her back on the Cardio S in case it unbalanced her. Now
            I`m worried after reading your post.

            Thanks :)

          • Sue
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2009
              Lyn,

              My understanding is that the body manufactures CoQ10. When you start
              supplementing, the body reduces its own production. Therefore, if you stop
              suddenly, the body doesn't have enough.

              If you decrease the dose gradually, it gives the body a chance to
              compensate. If you stop suddenly, there is little to no CoQ10 in the body
              until it gets a chance to recover. I don't know how long that takes.

              Sue and angels Pepper & Gandy