lung changes on x-ray

  • dshale1
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2009
      I posted last week about Pye being under the weather although the vet didn't find any problems (no signs of pulmonary or pleural edema, all blood tests normal). She is back to normal but when I spoke to the vet today to update him on her progress, he said when he compared her chest x-rays to her last ones (done in Nov. right after her last echo, which showed progression to severe HCM) he said there is no difference in her heart size or shape since Nov. but he sees some changes in her lungs. He wants to do another x-ray in a couple weeks. He said the changes he sees look like her asthma is getting worse.

      Pye has had mild asthma for about five years and it has been completely controlled with daily Flovent. Last week the vet had told me if her asthma were getting worse she would be coughing and she hasn't been, so he didn't want me to increase her Flovent.

      I wonder if HCM causes changes in the lungs other than fluids from heart failure? When Pye was first diagnosed with early HCM two years ago, the cardiologist mentioned she saw changes in her lungs but she said it was due to normal aging (Pye was 9 then).

      I know someone here said her cat's asthma got worse on atenolol--Pye has been on atenolol twice a day for two years--so I wonder if that is causing her lungs to get worse even though she isn't coughing? I realize some of these things can be hard to figure out with just one or two x-rays which is why he wants to do another one.
      -Susan
    • Sue
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2009
        Susan,

        I never heard that heart disease would cause changes in the lungs. Maybe
        someone else knows better, but that just doesn't sound right to me. As
        Pepper's heart got worse, the changes showed up with increases in the size
        of her heart - not with changes in her lungs.

        They say that asthma can be exascerbated by atenolo. Pepper's asthma
        remained stable. Her trigger was food so that was easy to control. However
        she did develop an arrhythmia and when they discontinued the atenolol, the
        arrhythmia stopped. Katy and Belle have more experience with that.

        Sue & angels Pepper and Gandy
        with Nicholai, Lola-Joy and Isabella

        >I posted last week about Pye being under the weather although the vet
        >didn't find any problems (no signs of pulmonary or pleural edema, all blood
        >tests normal). She is back to normal but when I spoke to the vet today to
        >update him on her progress, he said when he compared her chest x-rays to
        >her last ones (done in Nov. right after her last echo, which showed
        >progression to severe HCM) he said there is no difference in her heart size
        >or shape since Nov. but he sees some changes in her lungs. He wants to do
        >another x-ray in a couple weeks. He said the changes he sees look like her
        >asthma is getting worse.
        >
        > Pye has had mild asthma for about five years and it has been completely
        > controlled with daily Flovent. Last week the vet had told me if her asthma
        > were getting worse she would be coughing and she hasn't been, so he didn't
        > want me to increase her Flovent.
        >
        > I wonder if HCM causes changes in the lungs other than fluids from heart
        > failure? When Pye was first diagnosed with early HCM two years ago, the
        > cardiologist mentioned she saw changes in her lungs but she said it was
        > due to normal aging (Pye was 9 then).
        >
        > I know someone here said her cat's asthma got worse on atenolol--Pye has
        > been on atenolol twice a day for two years--so I wonder if that is causing
        > her lungs to get worse even though she isn't coughing? I realize some of
        > these things can be hard to figure out with just one or two x-rays which
        > is why he wants to do another one.
        > -Susan

      • katy4282003
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2009
          i emailed directly (i usually just answer thru my email) but i thought i should send it to the group as well since it could benefit someone else eventually.

          atenolol can cause bronchial spasms and worsen asthma. belle was diagnosed with HCM in sept 2004 in sept 2005 the coughing started. it was like a furball cough with neck outstretched but it wasnt constant. i took her back to vet and cardiologist just to be certain that it wasnt her heart. it wasnt. first they tried to switch belle from atenolol to diltiazem which did not help at all in fact it made things worse- it upset her stomach something horrible and her murmur which was gone on the atenolol was a 2 on the diltiazem (3 without meds). she went to an internist had a lavage done (i DO NOT recommend this it is invasive and belle had complications and it was aborted early). she was given flovent 2x a day and albuterol as well. eventually the albuterol was cut to an as needed basis after a few weeks (it elevates heart rate so i wasnt comfortable with giving more than absolutely necessary) and about 1.5 years later her dose was reduced to 1x a day. i wouldnt think that the lungs would worsen without external signs like asthma attacks, coughing etc but i know with belle her asthma attacks were commonly in the middle of the night when she had them. had it not been for the fact that she sleeps right next to me and i wake up most of the time when she moves i would have missed 90% of her attacks. belle asthma is stable attacks are almost non existant now (3 in as many years and during the height of allergy season plus they last seconds). i do have a HEPA air cleaner going, i vaccuum often, clean with non harsh cleaners (vinegar and water a lot- smells like a pickle but thats ok:)
          >^..^<
          katy & belle

        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2009
            Hi

            Trixi had lung changes as a kitten, and an enlarged thyroid. This cleared
            up as she aged and the only changes were to her heart, apart from the lung
            fluids.

            Milli has a different disease which is a cardiac cushion defect (hole in
            the heart-- several holes in her case) It's a major congenital problem and
            she was born with lung changes due to high pressures and this caused the lung
            artery to harden. I don't know if that happens in HCM though.

            Lyn..:)

          • dshale1
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2009
              Thanks. The vet said the lung abnormality he saw on the x-rays was consistent with asthma, which Pye has had for many years. I just wanted to find out if it could possibly be from anything else. He said the x-ray showed her heart the same size and shape as six months ago, but of course they can't tell all that much without another echo. At least it doesn't appear to have enlarged any further.

              I'm hoping that by increasing her Flovent dose, maybe the lung inflammation or whatever it is the vet saw on the x-ray will decrease.
              -Susan