coQ10

  • shelleyleblanc71
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2 8:12 AM
      hi, i'm thinking of putting my cat on coQ10 for his heart - can anyone pass along some advice on using it? is there any side effects? what dosage do most owners give their cats, and is it the one that you can buy for people? should it be introduced slowly. thanks very much for your help.
    • Sue
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2 9:14 AM
        Shelly,

        Since there's a slight chance of stomach upset, you could introduce it
        slowly. The normal dose is 30mg daily. I did have a vet who recommended
        120mg daily but I couldn't get Pepper to consume that much.

        I liked the Vetri-Science product called Cardio Strength which is also sold
        as US Animal Nutritional's Heart Discovery (it's the same company - just one
        is marketed to consumers and the other to vets). While it only has 20mg of
        CoQ10, it also has several amino acids and other supplements that are really
        good for a cat. I'd just give two. If your cat likes fishy things, then
        try opening the capsule and mixing it in his food. Always keep in mind that
        if a medication or supplement discourages a cat from eating, then do not mix
        it in the food.

        Sue & angels Pepper & Gandy
        with Nicholai, Lola-Joy and Isabella

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2 9:41 AM
          I did forget to mention one thing. If you start giving CoQ10 and later
          decide to discontinue it, you'll need to wean your cat off of it slowly. A
          sudden drop could cause other health problems.

          Sue

        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3 3:33 AM
            Hi

            Mine use Cardiostrength which includes CoQ10. My other heart cats use CoQ10
            at 30mg which I get from the health store. I`ve had 6 cats on it for
            several years with no side effects at all. It seems to work well :)

          • elfinmyst@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3 3:34 AM
              Hi Sue

              Can you explain what the health problem is when dropping CoQ10. When Trixi
              had her heart attack and went to the hospital, she missed it for a week and
              I didn't dare put her back on the Cardio S in case it unbalanced her. Now
              I`m worried after reading your post.

              Thanks :)

            • Sue
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3 6:18 AM
                Lyn,

                My understanding is that the body manufactures CoQ10. When you start
                supplementing, the body reduces its own production. Therefore, if you stop
                suddenly, the body doesn't have enough.

                If you decrease the dose gradually, it gives the body a chance to
                compensate. If you stop suddenly, there is little to no CoQ10 in the body
                until it gets a chance to recover. I don't know how long that takes.

                Sue and angels Pepper & Gandy