Intro from me and my cat with HCM

  • fjbutterfield@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2009
      Hi all,

      I'm new to this forum, i've been to the vets today with my 3 year old cat, Puddle, he has had a heart scan as a murmur was heard when he had his vaccinations on Tuesday.
      The scan shows he has HCM, and the vet tellsme the walls of his heart have thickened quite a lot for a young cat (although he is white and deaf which apparently suggests this is genetic and is not uncommon in white cats).

      He now has to take a tablet everyday to help his heart and go for appointments to monitor his heart but other thanthat I'm a bit in the dark about this.

      What worries me is that he is only young and is very healthy in every other respect, they say as he is a white cat he is unlikely to show the symptoms of HCM. All they can do is scan his heart again in a few months and see how much thicker the walls of his heart are. Poor boy, he is deaf and only has 3 legs from being run over before I got him as a rescue cat.

      Does anyone have any advice or help, especially experiences of white cats with HCM would be helpful??

      Many thanks

      ~Fiona and Puddle the cat x
    • moonpye
      Message 2 of 6 , May 28, 2009
        Hi Fiona, welcome to you and Puddle, I'm glad you found us! Bless you for
        adopting Puddle.

        Can you get a referral to a feline cardiologist, that is the truest way to
        know what is going on with his heart and the exact meds he may need.

        Is he taking Atenolol, 1/4 tablet is the usual dose to start.

        Hmmm, I have never heard that a white cat would not show any symptoms of
        HCM.

        Please read the FAQ's in the LINKS and the Files on the home page
        Here's the FAQ's:
        http://ca.geocities.com/scrubbrush@.../feline-heart/FelineHeartFAQ.html

        I would really look into seeing a cardiologist for Puddle.

        Ask us any questions, we all learn everyday!

        Best to you and Puddle!
        Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 29, 2009
          Hi Fiona and Puddle

          How did he get his name? It's so sweet.

          I`m sorry Puddle is poorly, but at least you are now aware of it. I also
          have young onset HCM kits diagnosed as kittens and it does progress quickly,
          so meds are essential. The white/deafness gene is well known and breeders
          are supposed to test white cats with the BAER test to ensure they aren't
          deaf.

          The HCM gene and the deafness gene are not related. HCM can be in any cat
          and is inherited from the parents separately to the coat colour. The
          deafness gene is related to the albino gene and is common in blue eyed whites. Odd
          eyed whites can be deaf in one ear only!

          What medication is he on? Has he had an ultrasound. He sounds a very lucky
          boy to have you and the thre legs won't affect his HCM. My Tom has three
          legs as well.

          Likely your white boy is a pedigree, possibly a British? That would explain
          the albino colour, deafness and HCM is found in that breed.

          I use a supplement called Cardiostrength.

          Lyn. :)

        • Gretchen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
            Fiona and Puddle welcome to the group.

            Lyn...what is Cardiostrength?

            > Hi Fiona and Puddle
            >
            > How did he get his name? It's so sweet.
            >
            > I`m sorry Puddle is poorly, but at least you are now aware of it. I also
            > have young onset HCM kits diagnosed as kittens and it does progress quickly,
            > so meds are essential. The white/deafness gene is well known and breeders
            > are supposed to test white cats with the BAER test to ensure they aren't
            > deaf.
            >
            > The HCM gene and the deafness gene are not related. HCM can be in any cat
            > and is inherited from the parents separately to the coat colour. The
            > deafness gene is related to the albino gene and is common in blue eyed whites. Odd
            > eyed whites can be deaf in one ear only!
            >
            > What medication is he on? Has he had an ultrasound. He sounds a very lucky
            > boy to have you and the thre legs won't affect his HCM. My Tom has three
            > legs as well.
            >
            > Likely your white boy is a pedigree, possibly a British? That would explain
            > the albino colour, deafness and HCM is found in that breed.
            >
            > I use a supplement called Cardiostrength.
            >
            > Lyn. :)

          • Sue
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2009
              Gretchen,

              I hope that I'm not stepping on toes by replying for Lyn. Cardio Strength
              is a product sold by Vetri-Science. The same product is sold by
              Vetri-Science's parent company - US Animal Nutritionals - under the name
              Heart Discovery.

              It contains CoQ10, amino acids and supplements that support the health of an
              animal with heart disease. I used it and highly recommend it.

              http://www.shopusanimal.com/vitaminssupplements/heart-discovery.php

              Sue & angels Pepper and Gandy
              with Nicholai, Lola-Joy and Isabella

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2009
                Hi Sue

                Of course it isn't stepping on toes :) (or paws). I fully believe that
                those knowing information should share it as soon as possible, especially on a
                heart forum.

                Gretchen.. Sue explained cardiostrength perfectly but I have one small
                thing to add. It's called Cardio S in the UK and available on veterinary
                prescription.

                Only problem is the pill is the size of a horse pill!! It goes down well
                enough in chicken though.

                :) Lyn