Emily Pls Help

  • rowbearg
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28, 2009
      Hi Remember Emily who threw a blood clot 3 weeks ago. Well she is walking almost normal now.
      But I have another problem. I gave her some new food as a side dish . She loved it, but during the night threw up and kept throwing up. Now she will not eat anything. Has been a day now. Hardly drinking either. I am forceing fluids down her. Can I get her on IV fluids with a enlarged Heart. Is this safe....
      I am worried she will get dehydrated...
      Also why wont she eat. She threw up greenish lig. She did not throw up yesterday until the night. Only once.
      Could the food have upset her stomach so bad that she cant eat?????
      I gave her some pepcid last night. I have been up most of the night with her. How much pepcid is ok to give. I gave @ 7 mg. Getting ready to give slipper elm. How much of that?
      Lori
    • moonpye
      Message 2 of 4 , May 28, 2009
        Hi Lori,

        I'm glad to hear Emily is walking better. Throwing up clear greenish
        liquid could be bile, stomach acid or could be a bacterial infection if it's
        mucousy?

        Yes, it could be the new food, what was the food?

        Usual dose of Pepcid AC is 1/8 - 1/4 of a 10mg tablet every other day to
        start

        IV fluids needs to be okayed by the cardio for Emily's particular
        heart condition and then given on a very slow drip if the cardio says she
        can have them and then given a specified amount.

        Slippery elm bark, start at 1/8 teaspoon for the powder. If you are using a
        capsule tap out about a quarter of it. Keep separated from meds 3 hours.

        Is she is not eating you will have to start assist feeding.

        Hope others who know more write..

        Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar

        On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 10:30 AM, rowbearg <rowbearg@...> wrote:

        > Hi Remember Emily who threw a blood clot 3 weeks ago. Well she is walking
        > almost normal now.
        > But I have another problem. I gave her some new food as a side dish . She
        > loved it, but during the night threw up and kept throwing up. Now she will
        > not eat anything. Has been a day now. Hardly drinking either. I am forceing
        > fluids down her. Can I get her on IV fluids with a enlarged Heart. Is this
        > safe....
        > I am worried she will get dehydrated...
        > Also why wont she eat. She threw up greenish lig. She did not throw up
        > yesterday until the night. Only once.
        > Could the food have upset her stomach so bad that she cant eat?????
        > I gave her some pepcid last night. I have been up most of the night with
        > her. How much pepcid is ok to give. I gave @ 7 mg. Getting ready to give
        > slipper elm. How much of that?
        > Lori

      • Cathy Mack
        Message 3 of 4 , May 28, 2009
          Hi Lori,

          May I ask what you are feeding her? There's a recall of Nutro dry cat food products and what you are describing is similar to the side effects of eating their poisoned food. In any event, I would get her to a vet right away because dehydration can set in rather quickly.

          Cathy

          Message 4 of 4 , May 29, 2009
            Meant for group: