Re: Behavior question

  • jintzr
    Message 1 of 6 , May 27, 2009
      Hi Susan, I am sorry Pye is a bit under the weather. Let us know if Pye had a chem panel or a CBC (or both).

      It could be that Pye is feeling a bit crummy from the slight dehydration? Another thing is she could have an upper respiratory infection. This last upper respiratory infection Ivy had was so hard to diagnose because she didn't have the usual symptoms she usually does (mucus, runny nose- she didn't have that) However, you said there was no increased breathing? Or, could Pye's asthma be acting up? Maybe she is having a bout of asthma issues?

      The other thing I wonder is maybe it is time to move Pye to twice a day lasix? I think your echocardiogram is coming up here soon, and the cardiologist can let you know then. I know with Nubis and Ren he wanted them both on twice daily lasix (Ren actually went to 3 times daily at one point), however he put Ivy on just once daily. I think you said there was no evidence of fluid in the lungs from the x-rays, but my faith in x-rays has gone down after one vet failed to put Nubis on the meds he needed (saying there was no fluid in his lungs), until the cardiologist and internal medicine gal looked at the x-rays and said, he needs lasix NOW. So I get a little wary of x-rays.

      If Pye continues to act under the weather, you might just move your echocardiogram up to make sure and rule that out also.

      I sure hope Pye feels better soon and returns to her normal self. Like you said, she could just have been thrown off by the friends visiting.

      Hugs
      Donna

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "dshale1" <Dshale1@...> wrote:

      > I took Pye to the vet today because she seemed under the weather. She wouldn't eat, even her favorite treats, and mainly just sat around in a crouched position. In my experience, that means a cat doesn't feel well or might be in pain. However, all her tests at the vet's were normal: respiration normal, bp 110 (hers is always on the low side), HR normal although she didn't tell me what it was, blood tests all normal, x-ray showed no fluid in lungs nor could she hear anything abnormal. Slightly dehydrated but they didn't want to give her any fluids because she is on furosemide.
      >
      > I was sent home with an appetite stimulant, which I didn't use because as soon as I got home, Pye ate of her own volition and she also ate her dinner as normal. But she is still sometimes sitting around crouched, and when I pet her she tenses. She is sleeping in the closet instead of her normal places.
      >
      > The only thing I can think of is that we had guests this weekend and they slept in the room she normally sleeps in. Still, she seemed her usual self the first couple days they were here. Does this sound familiar to anyone, and could it just be that her regular schedule was thrown off? She is 11 and has never minded guests before, but we haven't had any houseguests since her HCM became advanced. She is on enalapril, atenolol, plavix and furosemide but the labs didn't show any problems with her kidneys or anything else.
      >
      > I hope she will be her old self tomorrow but if not, I don't know what else to do. Any ideas? Thanks-
      > -Susan

    • dshale1
      Message 2 of 6 , May 27, 2009
        Thanks, I looked at the bill and it does say CBC/Complete Chem panel. I remember the vet also mentioning that Pye's WBC was normal so she saw no need for antibiotics. They showed me the chem panel but it was just a glance when she was showing me that creatinine and BUN were normal so I don't remember the rest. I will specifically ask about potassium today.
        -Susan