Need to Find Good Shelter for Neighbor's Probable Neglected Cats (crosspost)

  • dawnowens60610
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2009
      I have a suspected case of animal neglect with one of my neighbors...their cats have been stuck out on their 3rd floor balcony at least today, maybe longer. They're not tied up and one of them has a ribbon type thing tied around his neck and his movement seems restricted by the bike. I've been hearing meow's for awhile but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I know somebody's home because i there's a bike on the balcony that wasn't there before. They've put out litter, water, a towel and a long empty food bowl so this isn't a question of them accidently getting out there. If it is neglect, I can't take them in for very long as Data is very high maintenance with all his medical issues and won't tolerate new cats...plus with data's expenses, i don't know that i could afford medical care for 3 more cats.

      Anyway, can anyone recommend what to do next? I've made 2 calls to the non emergency police number but all i get is they'll check with their supervisor and the cats are still out there. The ASPCA pick up department is closed until monday. If i call my rental office on monday to at least get them to investigate without a backup plan i'm worried that these people would just chuck the cats out. Are there any no-kill animal shelters or foster homes that i could take these cats too?

      We live in forest park, Illinois if that helps.

      Thanks
      dawn & data