Re: Emily

  • hanneloretepper
    Message 1 of 13 , May 9, 2009
      I forgot to ask. She is on Enalipril also. I read that both lower Bloodpressure. So is it ok to give both or drop the enalipril?
      Lori
    • moonpye
      Message 2 of 13 , May 9, 2009
        Lori, keep Emily on the Enalapril..

        Candace

        On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 7:33 PM, hanneloretepper
        <hanneloretepper@...>wrote:

        > I forgot to ask. She is on Enalipril also. I read that both lower
        > Bloodpressure. So is it ok to give both or drop the enalipril?
        > Lori

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 13 , May 9, 2009
          Lori,

          I totally agree with Candace here. I would not stop any of her meds without asking the vet first.

          Carol and Snowball and the gang

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "hanneloretepper" <hanneloretepper@...> wrote:

          > I forgot to ask. She is on Enalipril also. I read that both lower Bloodpressure. So is it ok to give both or drop the enalipril?
          > Lori

        • moonpye
          Message 4 of 13 , May 9, 2009
            Lori, as Carol said do not stop any heart med without consulting the cardio
            vet. A heart med should be tapered off of slowly, not stopped abruptly.
            Emily needs the Enalapril for her heart.

            Candace

            On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 8:34 PM, Carol <carolroars@...> wrote:

            > Lori,
            >
            > I totally agree with Candace here. I would not stop any of her meds without
            > asking the vet first.
            >
            > Carol and Snowball and the gang
            >

            > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "hanneloretepper" <hanneloretepper@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I forgot to ask. She is on Enalipril also. I read that both lower
            > Bloodpressure. So is it ok to give both or drop the enalipril?
            > > Lori

          • hanneloretepper
            Message 5 of 13 , May 9, 2009
              Thank you all,
              I would not cut her enalipril out. Was just wondering about the to meds maybe lowering the BP to much.

              Did any of your kittys who threw a clot have decrease4 in appetite. I am encouraging every half hr or so.

              Poor girl. She is almost 18 and going through this...

              I pray she will recover and when her time comes she go gently...

              I noticed today her bad foot pad is actually warm. But still she wont use it. HUH?
            • Carol
              Message 6 of 13 , May 9, 2009
                Oh yes! When Chris thew his clot, I had to syringe feed him for almost a month. I think they just feel so out of sorts that it makes them out of whack with their eating.

                Good that her foot is warm! You should massage her leg and foot too. Do that gently a few times a day. Keep the circulation going.

                She probably won't try to walk on it for a while. Chris didn't use his foot for almost that whole first month after his clot. I massaged Chris's leg and foot every day. I even put him on a heating pad set on warm. I encouraged him to walk. I took him outside in the backyard and let him get fresh air. If the weather is nice in the evening, I maybe would take her outside for some change of scenery. My guys are all indoor only cats, so we use a harness and leash. The last thing you want is for her to run away when she's sick.

                hugs,

                Message 7 of 13 , May 9, 2009
                  Thank you Carol,

                  I am afraid to take her outside. She is such a nervous cat,always has been. She is afraid of my other 6 cats. Her boyfriend died 3 yrs ago july. Chico. He was 19 1/2 yrs.

                  Well, I will massage her legs and warm compresses.
                  I will hope for the best.
                  Lori
                • hanneloretepper
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 9, 2009
                    ok So now I know why her appetire has decreased. This is tough. I had a 6 mths battle with her when she was misdiagnosed w cancer. It was a enlarged heart and the vet thought shehad a mass. Stupid Dr.

                    I will keep her warm which is not hard in tucson. She does not want me to touch her leg and cries. I have pain meds I can give her. Did anyone give there cats pain meds??

                    She is a very nervous cat , always has been. She is a calico.

                    So pls give a prayer for her. I thank you for your input. It is really GOOD to hear others stories. I am in the dark on this and it helps to hear what others have gone through with this issue.

                    If there are others out there who have experienced this pls let me know your story.
                    Love and blessings
                    lori
                  • Carol
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 9, 2009
                      Lori,

                      Yes, we gave Chris pain medication. We had Buprenex injections for him. I think you should go ahead and give her the pain medication, just a normal dose though, don't give her more than the usual dose, because you don't want her to be all out of it either.

                      Do you have any flower essence (Rescue Remedy)? If you do, you can give that to her. Either dose her by mouth or just rub some into her skin. The center of the top of the head, between the ears is the calming point. If you rub little circles on that spot with the flower essence, that's the best place to apply it.

                      Give her a chance to have the pain medication working, then you can try to massage her leg after that if she'll let you.

                      We'll say some prayers for her tonight.

                      hugs,

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 10, 2009
                        Yes I did ask About Aspirin . I gave her the recommended dose for 2 days. Now I am useing natto Kinase to break up the clot.

                        It looks like her bad leg is swelling ever so little. I hear that is good?

                        Lori
                      • hanneloretepper
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 11, 2009
                          Hi, I was wondering if it is normal after Emily Threw the clot on Thursday evening to have some swelling the the affected leg. She is not trying to walk on the foot today. She is eating and drinking. I have the 4th dose of natto in her. But i was wondering if any other cats with this problem have had swelling. I read somewhere that this is good as circulation is coming back when it swells. Cant remember were I read this.
                          Pls advise
                          Lori
                        • Diana Anderson
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 5, 2009
                            I agree with the other posters, do not beat yourself up. You have to know in your heart that you did all you could. The people that join this and other kitty health groups are folks who go above and beyond what the average pet parent does when faced with an ailing cat.

                            Sometimes I think we actually go beyond what is right for our pets.

                            I am speaking only about myself, I judge no one but  myself.

                            When our diabetic kitty Lawrence died unexpectedly  two years ago (he was on insulin and doing well) I was so heart broken that I failed to realize just how sick our other sweet boy Hardy was. He had been ailing for a while (kidneys) and I honestly expected him to pass on first. But when Lawrence died I couldnt bare the thought of losing Hardy as well and so I refused to let him go. He was so ill and miserable yet he was still my boy, I loved him so much. Three weeks later I lost him anyways.

                            And for those 3 weeks he suffered - I did not do what was right for him. I live with this everyday and 2 years passing have not erased the memory of my dear boy so ill that he was unable to move or eat or drink.  I waited too long to take him to the vet to be PTS, I didnt want him to be PTS. I thought at the time that letting him go would hurt too much but I was thinking only of my pain. I look at his photo everyday and I wish I hadnt been so damn stupid. I should have thought of him.

                             When the time comes - and it always does - I know I have to let our adopted heart kitty Happy move on to a life without pain and try to take comfort in the fact that we will all see each other again someday. I can then tell my big beautiful Hardy boy that I learned from him a very painful lesson about life and how sorry I am that he suffered for that.

                            So sorry to ramble but I am still torn up, I suspect that I always will be.

                          • Westgold