Re: [FH] has anyone been able to look at Tic's reports on her heart?

  • musicgirl1993@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 7 2:49 PM
      In a message dated 5/7/2009 2:53:40 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      leahandhercats@... writes:

      Where is it that we are to look? Do you have a link to it or is posted
      somewhere?

      Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

      I had/have attached it and sent it to the list. I'll try again :) Maybe
      it's not coming through...thanks for any help! Kim

      Thanks Kim
      Kimber's Kritters, Dog & Exotic Animal Rescue and Rehab, Inc.
      We're a 501(c)(3) Rescue- Donations & supplies are tax deductible and
      greatly appreciated_ Kimberskritters.petfinder.com_
      (http://kimberskritters.petfinder.com/)
      WE NEED LAND FOR FACILITY FOR OUR NO KILL RESCUE
      ***FOSTERS, VOLUNTEERS, AND FUNDRAISERS NEEDED!!***

      **************Big savings on Dell’s most popular laptops. Now starting at
      $449!
      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222382499x1201454962/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B214663472%3B36502367%3Bg)

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 8 , May 7 7:54 PM
        I put Kim's Tic's labs in the Photos section.

        or this tiny url:
        http://tinyurl.com/pxuz2l

        Carol and the gang
      • Carol
        Message 3 of 8 , May 7 7:56 PM
          I forgot to tell you, you can change the size of the picture at the top left of the photos to make it easier to read.

          Carol and the gang

        • leahandhercats@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 8 7:46 AM
            Kim,

            I don't think that anyone answered your posting because they didn't get your reports. You can't attach things that go to the group. I did get your attachments and reviewed them. You would need to copy and paste or retype the info into an email for everyone to see.

            Although I can't report on the specific echo numbers the comments say all that is needed. The vet thinks that Tick has RCM (Restrictive Cardiomyopthay) with severe effusion in the abdomen. What does this mean? Tick has a serious heart condition and fluid is building up in his abdomen because of it. The vet put him on pretty standard meds and you should see some relief with the fluid in the abdomen while taking the lasix. If not, you may need to increase the lasix dosage (talk with your vet about this) or ask for another diuretic called, spirolactonone or spiro for short.

            The lab work looked good for the most part except for some slightly high kidney numbers. This is not uncommon, as kidney and heart problems go hand in hand many times. The kidney numbers are only slightly elevated but you will want to watch these as time goes by. Tick may also be a little dehydrated, as weird as that sounds with fluid building up in her abdomen. This can happen, all the fluid in one spot and not the rest of the body. Do not restrict Tick from drinking water. Her kidneys and body need it. There is some infection indicators with a high white blood count but that could be from the abdomen fluid - fluid where its not supposed to be. Other than that, the labs were pretty good.

            RCM is the most severe of cardiomyopthies. It can be managed for some time but there is no cure. Blood clots are a concern with RCM so you may want to ask about putting tick on Plavix or some other blood thinner. Many in the group use a natural blood thinner called nattokinase. Most vets know little about it.

            My Angel Alec had RCM, like Tick. After diagnosis, I was able to keep Alec comfortable for 10 more months. There have been people in the group that had kitties with RCM for years after diagnosis. Prognosis depends on the kitty's willpower and the owner's too. I hope this helps. If you have any questions whether they are heart related or not, ask them.

            Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

          • katy4282003
            Message 5 of 8 , May 8 8:52 AM
              i had belles hemocrit run low in september and her platelets as well. platelets are really hard to judge at most labs. many times they do a visual because the platelets fall thru and arent detected by the machine. was this lab done in house? you might get a more accurate results sending to a lab. when belle got rechecked in april they sent it to a lab and did the whole chebang- everything was normal. it cost more but to me well worth it. did she fast before her bloodwork? that might be why the glucose is low. i would be most concerned with the urean nitrogen and BUN readings since they are off and i know that has to do with kidneys but i havent had any experiences with it myself. i would retest at a lab just to have another reading to be more accurate. i also wanted to share that my FIL cat, smokey, (not a heart kitty but she was neglected and kicked and found eating out of a dumpster and was recused by a kind man before being adopted to my FIL). i really wanted smokey to see the vet- for 1 she was getting older and she is indoor/outdoor (this drives me crazy since i worry about her but i cannot convience my FIL that she should be indoor or if she must outdoor on a leash or supervised) and he has had her for a year and a half. her alt/phos numbers where high. i read that this could be liver issues and i worried that when she was abandoned by the original owner she didnt eat and it caused liver damage. the vet wanted me to give her antibotics for 2 weeks and recheck. at the recheck she was good to go-it was a low lying infection.

              >^..^<
              katy & belle

              > If anyone knows anything about labs please look...thanks Kim
              >
              > Thanks Kim
              > Kimber's Kritters, Dog & Exotic Animal Rescue and Rehab, Inc.
              > We're a 501(c)(3) Rescue- Donations & supplies are tax deductible and
              > greatly appreciated_ Kimberskritters.petfinder.com_
              > (http://kimberskritters.petfinder.com/)
              > WE NEED LAND FOR FACILITY FOR OUR NO KILL RESCUE
              > ***FOSTERS, VOLUNTEERS, AND FUNDRAISERS NEEDED!!***
              >
              > **************Big savings on Dell’s most popular laptops. Now starting at
              > $449!
              > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222382499x1201454962/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B214663472%3B36502367%3Bg)

            • jintzr