Re: [FH] newly diagnosed Sphynx w/DCM - labs ultrasound report PLEASE VIEW

  • musicgirl1993@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2009
      In a message dated 5/5/2009 11:49:18 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      Musicgirl1993 writes:

      I'd posted about my moms cat having DCM. I got all the labs. They are
      thinking it is from lack of Taurine in Orijen food as it has only .5%. They
      drew fluid off over a week ago and it's not back..is that a good sign? She's
      on the meds I'd posted. Puzzling to me is it says restrictive
      cardiomyopathy instead of DCM as they told my mother. Also is where they sent of the
      fluid..thanks for any help! Could this be from lack of Taurine? UT in
      Knoxville thinks it is?? thanks! Kim PS if anyone is close to a cardiologist that
      might glace at it it would be great!

      Thanks Kim
      Kimber's Kritters, Dog & Exotic Animal Rescue and Rehab, Inc.
      We're a 501(c)(3) Rescue- Donations & supplies are tax deductible and
      greatly appreciated_ Kimberskritters.petfinder.com_
      (http://kimberskritters.petfinder.com/)
      WE NEED LAND FOR FACILITY FOR OUR NO KILL RESCUE
      ***FOSTERS, VOLUNTEERS, AND FUNDRAISERS NEEDED!!***

      **************Big savings on Dell’s most popular laptops. Now starting at
      $449!
      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221827510x1201399090/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B214663377%3B36502382%3Bh)

    • Jenna Porter
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2009
        Hello,

        My 6 year-old Akunta was diagnosed with HCM in March 2008. On Monday, I got the news that her "big sister" Bailey (age 11) has CRF. The vet recommended feeding her Hill's k/d.

        When I researched this new food, I found that it is also recommended for cats with heart disease. Akunta currently eats Eagle Pack Holistic Dry Food. (I know wet would be better for her, but she will literally only eat crunchy cat food. No tuna, no canned food, not even cat treats except the pill pockets that come in the pink container... and even that's only a 25% success rate.) I am thinking of switching her to the Hill's k/d dry, since I leave dry food available at all times, since it seems that might be better for both of them. Does anyone have any comments about this food and whether or not it has helped?

        Thanks,

        Jenna

      • nala_zq
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2009
          0.5% Taurine is actually a relatively high level of Taurine
          for a commercial cat food.. Several of the Purina products
          have 0.125% Innova cat and kitten dry has 0.3 %, Wellness
          canned has 0.1% and dry is 0.2%

          Restrictive cardiomyopathy is a different disease from DCM.
          I did not see your other post - so I don't know what
          fluid you are speaking of - something drawn from the lungs?

          Best,

          Nala