RE: [feline-heart] Re: when is it time to euthanize?

  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
      i keep him in the ac as much as possible...but he's always been a big
      drinker and these past 2 days he's been hardly drinking at all....i can tell
      he's lost some weight too....

      linda

      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
        where do you get dandelion?

        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
          Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

          > can you tell me more about the early signs? i thought one of them was not
          > sleeping "curled up" but pum will sleep curled up for hours without
          > moving...even now.

          Yes, a kitty with fluid build up will not lay down with head upside down or
          belly up. Also, sudden weight gain with drop in appetite, sleeping more,
          squeaking or protesting when picked up with hand under rib cage (as fluids push
          against major organs), slowed deliberate breaths using lower flanks as bellows,
          drop in body temperature, muffled heart sound when listening to the heart with
          stethoscope.

          2 very good tools to have at home: a scale that measure to 1/10 of once and a
          stethoscope. I weighed my hcm/crf kitty every day to monitor unusual weight
          gain. With the stethoscope (about $10), you learn what the normal sound is like
          so that when the heart is muffled by fluids, you know the difference.

          I hope this helps,
          Anyes and the girls
        • Anyes Moscrip
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
            Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

            > where do you get dandelion?

            I got my dandelion extract at the health food store. I got a glycerin based
            liquid extract. It is highly concentrated. I put the liquid in #3 gelcaps and
            gave it twice a day, up to 4 times when there were initial signs of fluid build
            up.

            I hope this helps,
            Anyes
          • Mike & Linda Irrgang
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
              Dear Everyone and Anynes,

              Can you please give me your educated opinion on the following re: fluid
              buildup

              Pum :

              -lies on his back
              -sleep curled up for long periods of time
              -does not like to "meow" right now; seems to avoid meowing; meows as little
              as possible
              -lies stretched out on his side alot to rest/sleep (he never did this until
              we lived here and I attribute it to the excessive amt of heat)
              -drinks alot of water (but always has)
              -"wheezes" at inhalation
              -squeaks when i pick him up like under the rib cage but only if he was
              already in the middle of a meow

              Thank you for taking time to talk to us.....

              We are grateful for all input.....

              Purrs,
              Linda and Pum

              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                can you just give it in liquid drops??? how much do you put in the gelcaps
                (pum hates pills)? how do you know which "potency" to buy?? how much do you
                put in each gelcap?

                Linda

                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                  Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

                  > Dear Everyone and Anynes,
                  >
                  > Can you please give me your educated opinion on the following re: fluid
                  > buildup
                  >
                  > Pum :
                  >
                  > -lies on his back
                  > -sleep curled up for long periods of time
                  > -does not like to "meow" right now; seems to avoid meowing; meows as little
                  > as possible
                  > -lies stretched out on his side alot to rest/sleep (he never did this until
                  > we lived here and I attribute it to the excessive amt of heat)
                  > -drinks alot of water (but always has)
                  > -"wheezes" at inhalation
                  > -squeaks when i pick him up like under the rib cage but only if he was
                  > already in the middle of a meow
                  >
                  > Thank you for taking time to talk to us.....
                  >
                  > We are grateful for all input.....

                  I doubt very much that there is fluid build up. A kitty with fluid build up
                  will not lay down on his back. It is very hard to breathe that way. I can
                  attest to that personally. Also, the squeaking would be unmistakable if he had
                  fluid build up. If you put your palm under his rib cage between his front legs
                  and lift his upper body off the couch, he would protest from the pressure, and
                  not just occasionally.

                  The wheezing has me a little worried but sounds more like allergies or asthma.
                  Has Pum ever suffered from either?

                  Anyes
                • Anyes Moscrip
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                    Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

                    > can you just give it in liquid drops??? how much do you put in the gelcaps
                    > (pum hates pills)? how do you know which "potency" to buy?? how much do you
                    > put in each gelcap?
                    >
                    > Linda

                    I don't see why you could not give the drops or mix them in food. I have not
                    tasted it but I believe Dandelion is bitter so you have to conceal the taste if
                    that's the case. It does not take much. I just filled the size 3 gelcap with
                    it.

                    Anyes
                  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 10, 2001
                      yes, he's mildly asthmatic...

                    • mukki2@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 20, 2001
                        Every vet I talk to is surprised he is still alive (diagnosed in
                        January 2000, after he went into CHF after a routine dental
                        cleaning). I've been quite attentive to him, adjusting the
                        medications after doing research (which I know you aren't supposed to
                        do). This downhill spiral started after we left him to go to LV for a
                        weekend in late July. He gurgled after that and then I went to Palm
                        Springs last weekend and he's much worse now (although I seem to have
                        stabilized him). I think he gets stressed when we leave him even
                        though he has someone who comes over to feed him and give him meds.
                        He's very tired but still shows signs of happiness. I might try the
                        Dandelion or ask the vet about injectable lasix. Unfortunately, I
                        don't think my vets are very experimental or at least don't have a
                        wide range of experience.

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      • mukki2@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 20, 2001
                          My cat still sleeps curled up, although it's true that when he
                          previously had fluid buildup, he did sleep upright. In fact, the
                          fact that he sleeps curled up makes me think that he can't be feeling
                          too bad since it should be uncomfortable with fluid in the lungs;
                          maybe he had just gotten used to the discomfort, however.

                          One definite sign in my cat is that he makes a gurgling sound when he
                          purrs. As someone else noted, you can also see his sides being sucked
                          (below the ribs) in and out when he breathes (there is a medical term
                          for this, but I've forgotten it). He also will not stay on his back
                          for a prolonged period. For instance, he likes to roll in the dirt.
                          With fluid buildup, however, he immediately rights himself back up
                          after rolling onto his back. He also tends to rest in non-standing
                          position. For instance, when waiting for me to feed him, he no longer
                          sits on his haunches. Rather, he rests with his front legs bent so
                          that he is almost in a laying-down position. He also sleeps a lot
                          more.