RE: [feline-heart] when is it time to euthanize?

  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
      pum hasn't been urinating adequately these past few days....the vet checked
      for blockage and there is none....he's not drinking enough water
      either....he's eating ok but not drinking....doesn't this sound like a
      kidney problem??? he's not dehydrated.....yet....but in this heat he'll be
      so soon if he doesn't drink more water....this is terrible, terrible,
      terrible.

      linda

      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
        i keep him in the ac as much as possible...but he's always been a big
        drinker and these past 2 days he's been hardly drinking at all....i can tell
        he's lost some weight too....

        linda

        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
          where do you get dandelion?

          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
            Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

            > can you tell me more about the early signs? i thought one of them was not
            > sleeping "curled up" but pum will sleep curled up for hours without
            > moving...even now.

            Yes, a kitty with fluid build up will not lay down with head upside down or
            belly up. Also, sudden weight gain with drop in appetite, sleeping more,
            squeaking or protesting when picked up with hand under rib cage (as fluids push
            against major organs), slowed deliberate breaths using lower flanks as bellows,
            drop in body temperature, muffled heart sound when listening to the heart with
            stethoscope.

            2 very good tools to have at home: a scale that measure to 1/10 of once and a
            stethoscope. I weighed my hcm/crf kitty every day to monitor unusual weight
            gain. With the stethoscope (about $10), you learn what the normal sound is like
            so that when the heart is muffled by fluids, you know the difference.

            I hope this helps,
            Anyes and the girls
          • Anyes Moscrip
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
              Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

              > where do you get dandelion?

              I got my dandelion extract at the health food store. I got a glycerin based
              liquid extract. It is highly concentrated. I put the liquid in #3 gelcaps and
              gave it twice a day, up to 4 times when there were initial signs of fluid build
              up.

              I hope this helps,
              Anyes
            • Mike & Linda Irrgang
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                Dear Everyone and Anynes,

                Can you please give me your educated opinion on the following re: fluid
                buildup

                Pum :

                -lies on his back
                -sleep curled up for long periods of time
                -does not like to "meow" right now; seems to avoid meowing; meows as little
                as possible
                -lies stretched out on his side alot to rest/sleep (he never did this until
                we lived here and I attribute it to the excessive amt of heat)
                -drinks alot of water (but always has)
                -"wheezes" at inhalation
                -squeaks when i pick him up like under the rib cage but only if he was
                already in the middle of a meow

                Thank you for taking time to talk to us.....

                We are grateful for all input.....

                Purrs,
                Linda and Pum

                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                  can you just give it in liquid drops??? how much do you put in the gelcaps
                  (pum hates pills)? how do you know which "potency" to buy?? how much do you
                  put in each gelcap?

                  Linda

                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                    Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

                    > Dear Everyone and Anynes,
                    >
                    > Can you please give me your educated opinion on the following re: fluid
                    > buildup
                    >
                    > Pum :
                    >
                    > -lies on his back
                    > -sleep curled up for long periods of time
                    > -does not like to "meow" right now; seems to avoid meowing; meows as little
                    > as possible
                    > -lies stretched out on his side alot to rest/sleep (he never did this until
                    > we lived here and I attribute it to the excessive amt of heat)
                    > -drinks alot of water (but always has)
                    > -"wheezes" at inhalation
                    > -squeaks when i pick him up like under the rib cage but only if he was
                    > already in the middle of a meow
                    >
                    > Thank you for taking time to talk to us.....
                    >
                    > We are grateful for all input.....

                    I doubt very much that there is fluid build up. A kitty with fluid build up
                    will not lay down on his back. It is very hard to breathe that way. I can
                    attest to that personally. Also, the squeaking would be unmistakable if he had
                    fluid build up. If you put your palm under his rib cage between his front legs
                    and lift his upper body off the couch, he would protest from the pressure, and
                    not just occasionally.

                    The wheezing has me a little worried but sounds more like allergies or asthma.
                    Has Pum ever suffered from either?

                    Anyes
                  • Anyes Moscrip
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                      Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

                      > can you just give it in liquid drops??? how much do you put in the gelcaps
                      > (pum hates pills)? how do you know which "potency" to buy?? how much do you
                      > put in each gelcap?
                      >
                      > Linda

                      I don't see why you could not give the drops or mix them in food. I have not
                      tasted it but I believe Dandelion is bitter so you have to conceal the taste if
                      that's the case. It does not take much. I just filled the size 3 gelcap with
                      it.

                      Anyes
                    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 10, 2001
                        yes, he's mildly asthmatic...

                      • mukki2@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 20, 2001
                          Every vet I talk to is surprised he is still alive (diagnosed in
                          January 2000, after he went into CHF after a routine dental
                          cleaning). I've been quite attentive to him, adjusting the
                          medications after doing research (which I know you aren't supposed to
                          do). This downhill spiral started after we left him to go to LV for a
                          weekend in late July. He gurgled after that and then I went to Palm
                          Springs last weekend and he's much worse now (although I seem to have
                          stabilized him). I think he gets stressed when we leave him even
                          though he has someone who comes over to feed him and give him meds.
                          He's very tired but still shows signs of happiness. I might try the
                          Dandelion or ask the vet about injectable lasix. Unfortunately, I
                          don't think my vets are very experimental or at least don't have a
                          wide range of experience.

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        • mukki2@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 20, 2001
                            My cat still sleeps curled up, although it's true that when he
                            previously had fluid buildup, he did sleep upright. In fact, the
                            fact that he sleeps curled up makes me think that he can't be feeling
                            too bad since it should be uncomfortable with fluid in the lungs;
                            maybe he had just gotten used to the discomfort, however.

                            One definite sign in my cat is that he makes a gurgling sound when he
                            purrs. As someone else noted, you can also see his sides being sucked
                            (below the ribs) in and out when he breathes (there is a medical term
                            for this, but I've forgotten it). He also will not stay on his back
                            for a prolonged period. For instance, he likes to roll in the dirt.
                            With fluid buildup, however, he immediately rights himself back up
                            after rolling onto his back. He also tends to rest in non-standing
                            position. For instance, when waiting for me to feed him, he no longer
                            sits on his haunches. Rather, he rests with his front legs bent so
                            that he is almost in a laying-down position. He also sleeps a lot
                            more.