Re: [FH] What to watch out for

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2009
      Hi joepqwn;

      This is what Deb Zoran was trying to teach veterinarians about at the end of
      July in Vancouver. She points out that when gonadectomies, etc., are done
      on domestic cats, it is the same as plunging a human into menopause.
      Hormones go haywire so it is natural that leptin, for instance, go

      Here is what the FDA has to say about menopause and hormones:
      http://www.fda.gov/WOMENS/menopause/mht-FS.html

      In fact, there is a ton of study information about this online, some of
      which relates to cats in specific. The following just relates to leptin,
      which is one of many hormonal changes that happen which stop our cats from
      being equivalent to wild felines:
      http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/132/6/1730S
      http://tinyurl.com/csxxt7
      http://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/145/5/2221
      http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12472&d=1238306523
      http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119025498/abstract
      http://tinyurl.com/co95c9

      Of course, as it is turning out that our cats handle fat in the diet the
      same way humans do, it will also follow that heart disease will also be more
      prominent. While I agree that cats should be altered if not being used as
      breeders, we all need to pay attention to the results that are unfolding in
      this past decade after the big push to have cats 'fixed'. It seems our
      veterinarians are not willing to follow up as they should do, so we don't
      have a choice. I do sometime wonder what we have been paying them for, as
      they don't complete their job by providing followup care to prevent these
      health issues from developing......perhaps they are having too good a time
      reaping the benefits of not doing so.

      Pat and all the boys
      http://petfoodpitfalls.blogspot.com/