Brand New & in need of help

  • Joni
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 12:00 PM
      Hi, Everyone,

      I currently have three cats and am in the process of getting another (I hope.) The kitten who we don't have yet is a Tonkinese male born on February 2, 2009. He just went to the vet for his last vaccination and checkup. The vet heard a heart murmur several weeks ago and still heard it this past Tuesday. The vet said it is a high-pitched mid-systolic murmur 2 out of 6.

      The breeder's vet says it is more than likely an innocent murmur which kitty will outgrow. On the other hand, I just got off the phone with the vet tech from the vet I currently use, and she said do *not* get the kitty as most of these turn into HCM.

      I just lost a cat in December to megacolon and CRF after doing everything in the world for him to help him. He was almost 16 years old. At this point, I am not sure I want another sick cat. My current three cats are 11 years old, and one was just diagnosed with feline asthma for which I am giving her inhaled meds.

      I am very confused and was wondering if anyone could shed some light. If someone asked me about megacolon, hyperT or CRF I could tell you about my experiences, but when it comes to feline heart issues, I am clueless at this point.

      Thank you for your guidance.

      ~joni
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1 2:25 PM
        hi & welcome! Many kitten murmurs are totally benign, and they will disappear over time. Sometimes they don't disappear, but they're still benign. The only way to tell if your kitty's murmur is a sign of heart disease is to do an echo cardiogram and ekg with a real cardiologist. I think that 6 months of age is a good time to have these tests done. If your kitty does have some heart disease, there are excellent medicines and supplements to help him. Heart disease is not an automatic death sentence. Many of us have cats who have been living with HCM or other heart issues for years and years. If he has it, and you start the meds early rather than later, he will do much better. Where do you live? Maybe someone can recommend a good cardiologist to you. Your own vet is NOT capable of doing a proper echo, even if he's taken a class in it. You need a real cardiologist in order to get the peoper diagnosis, and to give you the proper meds.

      • Westgold
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1 3:08 PM
          Oh, he's so cute! Once you bring him home, he will be yours forever, you won't want to give him up. (I know, that's what heppened with me and Tigger Too.) But you will probably have something in your contract about being able to return him or exchange him for another kitten within a year if he proves to have any genetic problem. You might want to have something put into the contract to specifically cover the heart disease possibility. The breeder may be willing to pay half of the cost for the echo, or something like that. Have the parents been echoed to see if they have HCM? If they don't screen their breeders, they know there is a possibility of having kittens with HCM, and they are responsible. There is so much more HCM now because breeders choose to hide their heads in the sand and refuse to screen their breeders. If everybody screened, and then retired the cats who have HCM, then it would really start to disappear.

          Can anyone recommend a cardiologist in Ohio for Joni?

          thanks, Michelle & Tigger Too in Toronto
          From: Westgold <westgold@...>
          To: "Joni" <joni_c@...>, feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Friday, May 1, 2009, 5:25 PM

[...]

        • Tanika Lafi
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2 1:55 PM
            Hi all,

            I came across this website while trying to research some of the meds my little Sesame is taking. Thought I should share.

            http://www..peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2129&aid=2951

            It has articles on medications, vitamin supplementation and lots of other useful information.

            Best Wishes,

            Tanika
            “Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things,
            man will not himself find peace.” Albert Schweitzer