Re: Re: [FH] What to watch out for

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2009
      When there is a weight gain, could it be fluid build-up? That is what I believed happened to my former HCM kitty who died in 1995. The photos showed her all puffed up, like she was really bloated. And I found her in a big pool of fluid right before she died. Is it possible that they can bloat up ALL OVER, and not just have fluid in the heart and/or lungs -- but all over the body?

      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2009
        I think in the later stages when she got older. But she gained this weight around 1 year old and got HCM at 6 1/2.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, joepqwn@... wrote:

> [...]
        > > definitely HCM, and they said at that time that it was considered a fluke
        > > when
        > > it happened in Scottish Folds. (Now Folds are in the top 10 for
        > > HCM.) They said that it was the extra weight of the swollen glands
        > > that caused her heart to fail at that time. And that if we'd gone on
        > > and bred her, she would have died during the pregnancy or labor. LATER we
        > > developed the roll of film that had the last photos of her. We could see
        > > in those photos how sick she looked. Because we saw her everyday, we
        > > didn't notice. But she was very puffy in those photos, her cheeks were
        > > huge and she looked sad. There are obviously early signs that we miss
        > > because we see them everyday. That's why this discussion will be so
        > > valuable. PLEASE send in your stories if you lost a dear kitty from
        > > heart problems -- please let us know what you saw at the time or in

      • Pat
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2009
          Hi joepqwn;

          This is what Deb Zoran was trying to teach veterinarians about at the end of
          July in Vancouver. She points out that when gonadectomies, etc., are done
          on domestic cats, it is the same as plunging a human into menopause.
          Hormones go haywire so it is natural that leptin, for instance, go

          Here is what the FDA has to say about menopause and hormones:
          http://www.fda.gov/WOMENS/menopause/mht-FS.html

          In fact, there is a ton of study information about this online, some of
          which relates to cats in specific. The following just relates to leptin,
          which is one of many hormonal changes that happen which stop our cats from
          being equivalent to wild felines:
          http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/132/6/1730S
          http://tinyurl.com/csxxt7
          http://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/145/5/2221
          http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=12472&d=1238306523
          http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/119025498/abstract
          http://tinyurl.com/co95c9

          Of course, as it is turning out that our cats handle fat in the diet the
          same way humans do, it will also follow that heart disease will also be more
          prominent. While I agree that cats should be altered if not being used as
          breeders, we all need to pay attention to the results that are unfolding in
          this past decade after the big push to have cats 'fixed'. It seems our
          veterinarians are not willing to follow up as they should do, so we don't
          have a choice. I do sometime wonder what we have been paying them for, as
          they don't complete their job by providing followup care to prevent these
          health issues from developing......perhaps they are having too good a time
          reaping the benefits of not doing so.

          Pat and all the boys
          http://petfoodpitfalls.blogspot.com/