Re: [feline-heart] when is it time to euthanize?

  • Anyes Moscrip
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 5, 2001
      Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

      > do you wait to give the dandelion until you know there is a problem? how can
      > you detect fluid buildup in the lungs? does an xray show it?
      >
      > linda

      I gave the dandelion as a preventive daily for 6 months. I upped the dose when
      I saw early signs of fluid build up, such as the 'flank' breath... breathing
      with the lower flanks used as bellows. The fluid got reabsorbed within 24hrs
      without the stress of an ER visit.

      A vet can tell if there is fluid in the lungs from listening to the lungs and
      heart. It can be seen on xrays, but once you know your cat is prone to it, it
      is no longer necessary to do an xray each time. Other signs are there.

      Anyes
    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
        can you tell me more about the early signs? i thought one of them was not
        sleeping "curled up" but pum will sleep curled up for hours without
        moving...even now.

        linda

        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
          pum hasn't been urinating adequately these past few days....the vet checked
          for blockage and there is none....he's not drinking enough water
          either....he's eating ok but not drinking....doesn't this sound like a
          kidney problem??? he's not dehydrated.....yet....but in this heat he'll be
          so soon if he doesn't drink more water....this is terrible, terrible,
          terrible.

          linda

          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
            i keep him in the ac as much as possible...but he's always been a big
            drinker and these past 2 days he's been hardly drinking at all....i can tell
            he's lost some weight too....

            linda

            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
              where do you get dandelion?

              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
                Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

                > can you tell me more about the early signs? i thought one of them was not
                > sleeping "curled up" but pum will sleep curled up for hours without
                > moving...even now.

                Yes, a kitty with fluid build up will not lay down with head upside down or
                belly up. Also, sudden weight gain with drop in appetite, sleeping more,
                squeaking or protesting when picked up with hand under rib cage (as fluids push
                against major organs), slowed deliberate breaths using lower flanks as bellows,
                drop in body temperature, muffled heart sound when listening to the heart with
                stethoscope.

                2 very good tools to have at home: a scale that measure to 1/10 of once and a
                stethoscope. I weighed my hcm/crf kitty every day to monitor unusual weight
                gain. With the stethoscope (about $10), you learn what the normal sound is like
                so that when the heart is muffled by fluids, you know the difference.

                I hope this helps,
                Anyes and the girls
              • Anyes Moscrip
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
                  Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

                  > where do you get dandelion?

                  I got my dandelion extract at the health food store. I got a glycerin based
                  liquid extract. It is highly concentrated. I put the liquid in #3 gelcaps and
                  gave it twice a day, up to 4 times when there were initial signs of fluid build
                  up.

                  I hope this helps,
                  Anyes
                • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                    Dear Everyone and Anynes,

                    Can you please give me your educated opinion on the following re: fluid
                    buildup

                    Pum :

                    -lies on his back
                    -sleep curled up for long periods of time
                    -does not like to "meow" right now; seems to avoid meowing; meows as little
                    as possible
                    -lies stretched out on his side alot to rest/sleep (he never did this until
                    we lived here and I attribute it to the excessive amt of heat)
                    -drinks alot of water (but always has)
                    -"wheezes" at inhalation
                    -squeaks when i pick him up like under the rib cage but only if he was
                    already in the middle of a meow

                    Thank you for taking time to talk to us.....

                    We are grateful for all input.....

                    Purrs,
                    Linda and Pum

                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                      can you just give it in liquid drops??? how much do you put in the gelcaps
                      (pum hates pills)? how do you know which "potency" to buy?? how much do you
                      put in each gelcap?

                      Linda

                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                        Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

                        > Dear Everyone and Anynes,
                        >
                        > Can you please give me your educated opinion on the following re: fluid
                        > buildup
                        >
                        > Pum :
                        >
                        > -lies on his back
                        > -sleep curled up for long periods of time
                        > -does not like to "meow" right now; seems to avoid meowing; meows as little
                        > as possible
                        > -lies stretched out on his side alot to rest/sleep (he never did this until
                        > we lived here and I attribute it to the excessive amt of heat)
                        > -drinks alot of water (but always has)
                        > -"wheezes" at inhalation
                        > -squeaks when i pick him up like under the rib cage but only if he was
                        > already in the middle of a meow
                        >
                        > Thank you for taking time to talk to us.....
                        >
                        > We are grateful for all input.....

                        I doubt very much that there is fluid build up. A kitty with fluid build up
                        will not lay down on his back. It is very hard to breathe that way. I can
                        attest to that personally. Also, the squeaking would be unmistakable if he had
                        fluid build up. If you put your palm under his rib cage between his front legs
                        and lift his upper body off the couch, he would protest from the pressure, and
                        not just occasionally.

                        The wheezing has me a little worried but sounds more like allergies or asthma.
                        Has Pum ever suffered from either?

                        Anyes
                      • Anyes Moscrip
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                          Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

                          > can you just give it in liquid drops??? how much do you put in the gelcaps
                          > (pum hates pills)? how do you know which "potency" to buy?? how much do you
                          > put in each gelcap?
                          >
                          > Linda

                          I don't see why you could not give the drops or mix them in food. I have not
                          tasted it but I believe Dandelion is bitter so you have to conceal the taste if
                          that's the case. It does not take much. I just filled the size 3 gelcap with
                          it.

                          Anyes
                        • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 10, 2001
                            yes, he's mildly asthmatic...

                          • mukki2@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 20, 2001
                              Every vet I talk to is surprised he is still alive (diagnosed in
                              January 2000, after he went into CHF after a routine dental
                              cleaning). I've been quite attentive to him, adjusting the
                              medications after doing research (which I know you aren't supposed to
                              do). This downhill spiral started after we left him to go to LV for a
                              weekend in late July. He gurgled after that and then I went to Palm
                              Springs last weekend and he's much worse now (although I seem to have
                              stabilized him). I think he gets stressed when we leave him even
                              though he has someone who comes over to feed him and give him meds.
                              He's very tired but still shows signs of happiness. I might try the
                              Dandelion or ask the vet about injectable lasix. Unfortunately, I
                              don't think my vets are very experimental or at least don't have a
                              wide range of experience.

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                            • mukki2@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 20, 2001
                                My cat still sleeps curled up, although it's true that when he
                                previously had fluid buildup, he did sleep upright. In fact, the
                                fact that he sleeps curled up makes me think that he can't be feeling
                                too bad since it should be uncomfortable with fluid in the lungs;
                                maybe he had just gotten used to the discomfort, however.

                                One definite sign in my cat is that he makes a gurgling sound when he
                                purrs. As someone else noted, you can also see his sides being sucked
                                (below the ribs) in and out when he breathes (there is a medical term
                                for this, but I've forgotten it). He also will not stay on his back
                                for a prolonged period. For instance, he likes to roll in the dirt.
                                With fluid buildup, however, he immediately rights himself back up
                                after rolling onto his back. He also tends to rest in non-standing
                                position. For instance, when waiting for me to feed him, he no longer
                                sits on his haunches. Rather, he rests with his front legs bent so
                                that he is almost in a laying-down position. He also sleeps a lot
                                more.