Re: [feline-heart] when is it time to euthanize?

  • VHess2000@cs.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 5, 2001
      It's not that they stop urinating... As blood backs up in the overstressed,
      and inefficent heart, fluid leaks into the surrounding tissues.

      Victoria
    • VHess2000@cs.com
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 5, 2001
        Heat and humidity tends to excerbate symtoms in cardio cats. If you don't
        have air conditioning, try keeping your cat in a tiled bathroom with a fan
        running.

        Victoria
      • Anyes Moscrip
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 5, 2001
          Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

          > do you wait to give the dandelion until you know there is a problem? how can
          > you detect fluid buildup in the lungs? does an xray show it?
          >
          > linda

          I gave the dandelion as a preventive daily for 6 months. I upped the dose when
          I saw early signs of fluid build up, such as the 'flank' breath... breathing
          with the lower flanks used as bellows. The fluid got reabsorbed within 24hrs
          without the stress of an ER visit.

          A vet can tell if there is fluid in the lungs from listening to the lungs and
          heart. It can be seen on xrays, but once you know your cat is prone to it, it
          is no longer necessary to do an xray each time. Other signs are there.

          Anyes
        • Mike & Linda Irrgang
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
            can you tell me more about the early signs? i thought one of them was not
            sleeping "curled up" but pum will sleep curled up for hours without
            moving...even now.

            linda

            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
              pum hasn't been urinating adequately these past few days....the vet checked
              for blockage and there is none....he's not drinking enough water
              either....he's eating ok but not drinking....doesn't this sound like a
              kidney problem??? he's not dehydrated.....yet....but in this heat he'll be
              so soon if he doesn't drink more water....this is terrible, terrible,
              terrible.

              linda

              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
                i keep him in the ac as much as possible...but he's always been a big
                drinker and these past 2 days he's been hardly drinking at all....i can tell
                he's lost some weight too....

                linda

                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
                  where do you get dandelion?

                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
                    Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

                    > can you tell me more about the early signs? i thought one of them was not
                    > sleeping "curled up" but pum will sleep curled up for hours without
                    > moving...even now.

                    Yes, a kitty with fluid build up will not lay down with head upside down or
                    belly up. Also, sudden weight gain with drop in appetite, sleeping more,
                    squeaking or protesting when picked up with hand under rib cage (as fluids push
                    against major organs), slowed deliberate breaths using lower flanks as bellows,
                    drop in body temperature, muffled heart sound when listening to the heart with
                    stethoscope.

                    2 very good tools to have at home: a scale that measure to 1/10 of once and a
                    stethoscope. I weighed my hcm/crf kitty every day to monitor unusual weight
                    gain. With the stethoscope (about $10), you learn what the normal sound is like
                    so that when the heart is muffled by fluids, you know the difference.

                    I hope this helps,
                    Anyes and the girls
                  • Anyes Moscrip
                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
                      Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

                      > where do you get dandelion?

                      I got my dandelion extract at the health food store. I got a glycerin based
                      liquid extract. It is highly concentrated. I put the liquid in #3 gelcaps and
                      gave it twice a day, up to 4 times when there were initial signs of fluid build
                      up.

                      I hope this helps,
                      Anyes
                    • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                        Dear Everyone and Anynes,

                        Can you please give me your educated opinion on the following re: fluid
                        buildup

                        Pum :

                        -lies on his back
                        -sleep curled up for long periods of time
                        -does not like to "meow" right now; seems to avoid meowing; meows as little
                        as possible
                        -lies stretched out on his side alot to rest/sleep (he never did this until
                        we lived here and I attribute it to the excessive amt of heat)
                        -drinks alot of water (but always has)
                        -"wheezes" at inhalation
                        -squeaks when i pick him up like under the rib cage but only if he was
                        already in the middle of a meow

                        Thank you for taking time to talk to us.....

                        We are grateful for all input.....

                        Purrs,
                        Linda and Pum

                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                          can you just give it in liquid drops??? how much do you put in the gelcaps
                          (pum hates pills)? how do you know which "potency" to buy?? how much do you
                          put in each gelcap?

                          Linda

                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                            Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

                            > Dear Everyone and Anynes,
                            >
                            > Can you please give me your educated opinion on the following re: fluid
                            > buildup
                            >
                            > Pum :
                            >
                            > -lies on his back
                            > -sleep curled up for long periods of time
                            > -does not like to "meow" right now; seems to avoid meowing; meows as little
                            > as possible
                            > -lies stretched out on his side alot to rest/sleep (he never did this until
                            > we lived here and I attribute it to the excessive amt of heat)
                            > -drinks alot of water (but always has)
                            > -"wheezes" at inhalation
                            > -squeaks when i pick him up like under the rib cage but only if he was
                            > already in the middle of a meow
                            >
                            > Thank you for taking time to talk to us.....
                            >
                            > We are grateful for all input.....

                            I doubt very much that there is fluid build up. A kitty with fluid build up
                            will not lay down on his back. It is very hard to breathe that way. I can
                            attest to that personally. Also, the squeaking would be unmistakable if he had
                            fluid build up. If you put your palm under his rib cage between his front legs
                            and lift his upper body off the couch, he would protest from the pressure, and
                            not just occasionally.

                            The wheezing has me a little worried but sounds more like allergies or asthma.
                            Has Pum ever suffered from either?

                            Anyes
                          • Anyes Moscrip
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                              Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

                              > can you just give it in liquid drops??? how much do you put in the gelcaps
                              > (pum hates pills)? how do you know which "potency" to buy?? how much do you
                              > put in each gelcap?
                              >
                              > Linda

                              I don't see why you could not give the drops or mix them in food. I have not
                              tasted it but I believe Dandelion is bitter so you have to conceal the taste if
                              that's the case. It does not take much. I just filled the size 3 gelcap with
                              it.

                              Anyes
                            • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 10, 2001
                                yes, he's mildly asthmatic...

                              • mukki2@yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 20, 2001
                                  Every vet I talk to is surprised he is still alive (diagnosed in
                                  January 2000, after he went into CHF after a routine dental
                                  cleaning). I've been quite attentive to him, adjusting the
                                  medications after doing research (which I know you aren't supposed to
                                  do). This downhill spiral started after we left him to go to LV for a
                                  weekend in late July. He gurgled after that and then I went to Palm
                                  Springs last weekend and he's much worse now (although I seem to have
                                  stabilized him). I think he gets stressed when we leave him even
                                  though he has someone who comes over to feed him and give him meds.
                                  He's very tired but still shows signs of happiness. I might try the
                                  Dandelion or ask the vet about injectable lasix. Unfortunately, I
                                  don't think my vets are very experimental or at least don't have a
                                  wide range of experience.

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                • mukki2@yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 20, 2001
                                    My cat still sleeps curled up, although it's true that when he
                                    previously had fluid buildup, he did sleep upright. In fact, the
                                    fact that he sleeps curled up makes me think that he can't be feeling
                                    too bad since it should be uncomfortable with fluid in the lungs;
                                    maybe he had just gotten used to the discomfort, however.

                                    One definite sign in my cat is that he makes a gurgling sound when he
                                    purrs. As someone else noted, you can also see his sides being sucked
                                    (below the ribs) in and out when he breathes (there is a medical term
                                    for this, but I've forgotten it). He also will not stay on his back
                                    for a prolonged period. For instance, he likes to roll in the dirt.
                                    With fluid buildup, however, he immediately rights himself back up
                                    after rolling onto his back. He also tends to rest in non-standing
                                    position. For instance, when waiting for me to feed him, he no longer
                                    sits on his haunches. Rather, he rests with his front legs bent so
                                    that he is almost in a laying-down position. He also sleeps a lot
                                    more.