Azodyl

  • Linda Irrgang
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 25 9:47 AM
      My vet recently prescribed Azodyl for Pum..has anyone had occasion to use
      it? I was wondering what the thoughts on its use might be from everyone
      here???????

      Also, he said that Calcitriol, once thought to be beneficial bec its
      mandatory for humans with kidney issues, has been nixed for use in
      kitties...just fyi if anyone is using it..

      Linda and Pumpkin

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25 10:08 AM
        hi Linda,

        We use it for Misty and Snowball. We started using it when they were first diagnosed CRF back in 2006. I think it has helped slow down the progression of their CRF but with mixed results. For a long time, about a year, their kidney values stayed very stable, just above normal. Misty's stayed better than Snowball's.

        If I ever thought that it wasn't doing any good, that thought was kind of dispelled these past few months since we stopped it for Snowball, because of her constant throwing up, we didn't know what was making her spew all the time, so we stopped almost all her supplements and meds and when we started things back up again, I didn't give her any Azodyl again, because I didn't think it was helping. That was in September when her BUN was about in the low 50's and Creatinine was high 2's. then in December we did bloodwork and her BUN shot up to 77 and Creatinine went up to 3.5. We just started her back on the Azodyl again this week after trying a couple other things for her CRF (Astro's Oil which she puked up, and glandulars). Her recent bloodwork came back the same as December with a BUN in the 70's and Creatinine mid 3's.

        So I do think it was helping Snowball before, maybe just not as much as Misty, whose numbers have stayed stable for 3 years (fluctuating from BUN mid 40's to mid 50's and Creatinine mid 2's to low 3's). I think had we never given Snowball the Azodyl for those two and a half years, maybe her kidney failure would have progressed a lot faster.

        I think it's worth a try. The capsules are big, yes, but they go down pretty easy with our guys. I hide the capsule in a little meatball of cold canned cat food, stick it to my finger and pill them with it, so it's like I'm just shoving food in their mouths, and they just swallow it, and since it's got food with it, it goes down easily.

        I spoke with the Vetoquinol people about administering it, and they said to give it NOT with a big meal, but with just a small snack, so that it leaves the stomach quicker. They also said that you CAN open the capsule and mix it in the little bit of food, that it will still have some results, but for optimum results to give the capsule whole.

        Here's some links about Azodyl. The first one is From Kibow Technologies, the original makers of Azodyl.

        http://www.kibowbiotech.com/PDF/Veteriary%20Product%20Brochure.pdf

        This is for Vetoquinol, the company that now distributes it.
        http://www.vetoquinolusa.com/home.html

        hugs,
        Carol and Snowball and the gang

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 25 11:33 AM
          Hi Carol,

          So far I haven’t had any trouble getting Pum to swallow it. I dip it in
          olive oil, put it in the pill popper and down it goes; no problem. But then
          Pum is exceptionally good about taking his meds, thank God!! My main
          concern was that I had seen him throw up a couple of times but I have been
          giving it with his morning syringe feeding…so your advice on the snack time
          administration is a good one. I will try that. I am encouraged by your
          statement about the bloodwork. I think you are right that it needs to be
          given sooner than later. I had him on the fish oil at ¼ -1/8 tsp/day but he
          couldn’t handle that…..I am hoping this will be a good alternative. I find
          personally that the fish oil tabs are a little hard on my stomach too….

          Thx so much for sharing. I am hoping to hear more from others’ experiences
          with Azodyl….

          Linda

          _____

          http://www.vetoquin <http://www.vetoquinolusa.com/home.html>

          --- In feline-heart@ <mailto:feline-heart%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com, "Linda Irrgang" <linda@...> wrote:

          > My vet recently prescribed Azodyl for Pum..has anyone had occasion to use
          it? I was wondering what the thoughts on its use might be from everyone
          here???????

        • Minna Peltonen
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 25 2:01 PM
            I answered to Linda personally but here is my answer in order someone
            else is in need of experiences.

            Azodyl did not upset Emilia's tummy.

            my experience with Azodyl is good. My Emilia just started the third bottle
            (he takes 2 capsules per day) and the values (bun and crea) has slightly
            dropped. Not dramatically, but Emilia's CRF is quite mild. On Feb 18 the bun
            was 11 (5,7-12,9) and crea 234 (71-212) and we started Azodyl on the next
            day. On Apr 15 they were 10,1 and 229.

            I will continue and add one more capsule, as Emilia weights 11 lbs and is
            supposed to take 3 pills per day instead of 2 I've been giving.

            Minna

            Linda Irrgang kirjoitti:

            > My vet recently prescribed Azodyl for Pum..has anyone had occasion to use
            > it? I was wondering what the thoughts on its use might be from everyone
            > here???????
            >
            > Also, he said that Calcitriol, once thought to be beneficial bec its
            > mandatory for humans with kidney issues, has been nixed for use in
            > kitties...just fyi if anyone is using it..
            >
            > Linda and Pumpkin

          • Jill Barclay
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 28 1:35 AM
              Hi Linda!  My cat Bandit has CRF.  She has been on Azodyl for 1 year. She is doing great!  I feel that it has helped her a great deal!  Good luck with Pumpkin!!

              Jill, Oscar, Bandit

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 14, 2014

                Does anyone have any experience giving their heart kitty Azodyl?  My 14 year old soul kitty, Sage, was diagnosed with HCM in January after going into congestive heart failure after being misdiagnosed and given a steroid injection.  His kidney values increased recently from all of the medications that he's on.  His kidneys were fine until the Lasix was increased to three times a day, and they also added Spironolactone.  His Lasix dose was reduced to twice a day, but his kidney values never fully recovered.  I had been able to keep his values down through diet up until now, but it looks lile I might need some help.

                He is never completely without fluid (pleural effusion) because of chylothorax, but we have been able to keep him somewhat stable on his current medications.  He is not on a blood thinner because he suffered an internal hemorrhage the same day he was given a steroid injection.

                Lasix - 12.5 mg twice a day
                Spironolactone - 6.25 mg twice a day
                Enalapril - 2.5 mg once a day
                Methimazole - 2.5 mg once a day

                Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
                Chylothorax
                Hyperthyroidism
                Recent diagnosis of azotemia

                History of congestive heart failure, internal bleeding and anemia

                Wet food diet that's low in sodium, fat (due to chylothorax) and phosphorus

                Thank you!

                Amber & Sage

              • Elfinmyst
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 16, 2014
                  Hello

                  I'm sorry, I've never heard of this medication, did anyone reply with help? I am curious about it too.

                  Lyn

                  www.furkids-selkirks.com:-)
                • r schu
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 16, 2014

                    Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:21 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

                    "Amber Bruno" 3edbfc04c456bd752e462142301e6b3a

                    Amber and Sage,

                    I've been giving May Azodyl since she was first diagnosed with kidney disease in '09.  Two caps per day, reduced to one cap per day months ago, when her heart meds were increased and I wanted to keep the number of pills to 3 per day max.

                    I don't know if it helps or not.  The crf list has occasional questions about it, and the response is usually mixed.  Because I've given it this long, I'm keeping it up.  I also put some psyllium in her homemade food as a thickener, (very small amount) which is a prebiotic found in azodyl.

                    Per Tanya's crf site:
                    Azodyl is a product designed to help cats with CKD by reducing the workload of the kidneys. It contains a prebiotic, psyllium, a type of fibre commonly used to control constipation, together with strains of three particular probiotics:
                    • Enterococcus (Streptococcus) thermophilus (KB19)
                    • Lactobacillus acidophilus (KB27); and
                    • Bifidobacterium longum (KB31)
                    Hope this helps.

                    -Lee and May

[...]