Big Footsie - a couple of questions

  • Susan Loesch
    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 13, 2009
      Big Footsie, who was diagnosed with HCM and CHF just a couple of months ago is doing wonderfully well!   His blood pressure is down a total of 85 points and comfortably into the normal range, as is his heart rate,even at the vet's office.   His asthma is under control with Flovent inhaler twice a day and he is no longer requiring albuterol by inhaler.  He seems to feel good and he is obviously enjoying life more.  He is playful again and has his sense of humor back.

      The one problem that has come up is that he seems to be having one slight side effect from one/some drug or drugs he is taking which is causing him to chew on his fur and pull some of it out.  It is not obsessive or constant - he just has a few bare spots.  He can't have the steroid injection which would normally be given to take care of this.  Have any of you dealt with this and do you have any suggestions?   His meds for his heart are atenolol, lasix, enacard and plavix.  He also gets a flovent inhaler twice a day.  Oh, and CoQ10 and salmon oil.

      My second question concerns plavix -- I was really disappointed that Footsie's vet chose to go with that instead of nattokinase.  I am still hoping we can eventually switch him to the natto.   Have any of you ever ordered the generic plavix, clopivas?   I don't believe it will be available in this country for another couple of years, if I am understanding what I've read, but it is available from 4 Corners Pharmacy, a Canadian pharmacy I have used often to order Footsie's inhalers.  The price difference is clopivas is $12 for 10 tablets; for 10 plavix tabs at my local pharmacy I just paid $66.  Footsie's vet is fine with my ordering it but sometimes folks with more experience with something are the best people to ask!

      Thanks,
      Big Footsie and Susan

    • Missy Zane
      Message 43 of 43 , Sep 4, 2015
        After two years, Sizzle is becoming very resistant to taking his pills, so I'm trying to combine as many as I can into two liquids. This experiment is beginning with Plavix/Diltiazem. He's getting chicken/marshmallow. Ugh... Wedgewood said the sweet marshmallow would disguise the bitter Plavix. I hope they're right!
        Missy

        On 9/4/2015 8:19 AM, Marsha martia@... [feline-heart] wrote:

        Hi Gina,

        That's almost exactly what I do with Brock's Plavix! The local pharmacy
        splits them into quarters and puts each piece inside a capsule. I open
        the capsule, letting the pill drop into the smaller half of the capsule,
        plug it with a Pill Pocket, and wrap the rest of the PP around it. I
        tried liquid Plavix from Wedgewood compounding pharmacy, beef and
        chicken flavor (yeah, right). That didn't go well.

        Marsha & Brock