Re: [feline-heart] when is it time to euthanize?

  • Anyes Moscrip
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 4, 2001
      mukki2@... wrote:

      > Two questions. I've read that doctors often use a mix of diurectics
      > to help flush fluid because the body becomes resistant to the same
      > diuretic over time. Does anyone have any suggestions for other
      > diurectics their vets have used? I have tried rutin, but he will not
      > eat this in his food and I refuse to pill him with such an
      > unpleasantly large pill.

      We used Dandelion extract for 6 months and Spironolactone for 1 month. Have
      you tried either one of those?
      Dandelion worked great. I gave 2 gelcaps/day and up to 4 gelcaps when there
      was a problem with fluid build up. The last month, we added the other
      diuretic to the routine. My kitty had also had lasix in the ER for several
      days along wiht the gel type diuretic. The lasix took several days of
      repeated doses to work so we did not use it at home after that. We used the
      Dandelion instead.

      I hope this helps,
      Anyes
    • Goodell Eileen Contr AFRL/IFOIL
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 5, 2001
        Hi,

        When my kitty Cupid was having problems, at one point they gave him a
        diuretic called HMZ, it worked well but his kidneys could not take it. Some
        other cats the vet said it did not bother their kidneys at all. Sometimes
        it takes some juggling to find the one that is right for your feline. Near
        the end we ended having to give Cupid shots of lasix at home because the
        pills just weren't giving him the effect he needed. I wish you luck and you
        will know when it is time. I didn't think I would know, and everyone here
        told me I would and they were right. I am still having a hard time but
        everyone here has been so supportive, I don't know what I would have done
        without them.

        I did want to mention that I have been spending time with my other kitties.
        I sort of neglected them because I was taking care of Cupid. They are doing
        great and all of them seem to be healthy enough. They have helped me a
        great deal also. At first I wouldn't let any of the other cats in my
        bedroom where Cupid stayed most of the time, and now I have let one in. At
        first it was hard because I was actually angry that they went and slept
        where Cupid did and so I took the blanket away and put the plant/flowers
        there that the Vet had sent me. I love my cats I was surprised I was so
        angry about them using anything that had been Cupids. I took everything
        that was his and put it away so they couldn't use it. I don't know if
        anyone else has had this kind of reaction or not. I have gotten better
        about it, I guess I am just not ready for some things.

        Eileen

        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 5, 2001
          Hi!

          I am so sorry to hear that it may be getting near the time for you to
          make this difficult decision. I think it is an individual thing as to
          how much we want to put our cats through to try and prolong their
          lives. Some here have gone the whole 9 yards to try and do everything
          possible and I applaud their stamina. I have a different view as to
          how I am handling Doms HCM, asthma and allergies. We decided 6 months
          ago to go with quality of life for him rather than the quantity. Dom
          has still not needed anything for fluid build up so I can be of no
          help there but others will have lots of suggestions. I can say this
          now because Doms time isn't here today but my DH and I have decided
          to do what you mentioned. When his health gets to a rapid decline, we
          just won't put him through all of the procedures to try and give him
          a little time. Dom is a very sensitive cat both physically and
          mentally. He throws himself into an asthma attack if we even take him
          out to the vets. So, they will come here from now on if he needs
          them. Doms vet, Brian, is heaven sent to me because he helped us
          reach this decision and is now there to help us get to that point. If
          you have a vet you are comfortable with, maybe talking to them would
          help. Brian understands what we want and has been told if I am
          hanging on and Dom is having "any" real problems to please "hit me
          over the head" (not literally! LOL) to see it. I know when the time
          comes, I may not be as willing to back off as I can say on paper so I
          am counting on him to be the voice of reason in this. I do know when
          Doms health declines even more, I will be keeping him alive because I
          don't want to loose him for my benefit not Doms and I don't want that
          to happen. As long as Doms quality of life is good (as it is now) we
          will muddle along and Brian tells me he is already on his second set
          of nine lives as he should not be with us today but he is curled up
          beside the computer as I type this purring away so whatever is
          working for him. I think Smer will let you know when he is really
          failing and you will not want to watch it from what you have said. I
          know it is not going to be easy and I hope that I have the strength
          to do it when I must! The underlying thought for us is that Dom has
          an uncurable, fatal condition and we will let him go to keep him from
          any pain or procedures that will not cure him anyway.

          Good luck in your decision,
          Jeanne, Dom, Bono & Louie

        • VHess2000@cs.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 5, 2001
            Eileen- I don't think you're alone in your reactions. I initially kept
            Kira's bed next to my pillow, where she usually slept, and even used it as a
            pillow the first couple of nights after she died. I was surprised at the
            other cat's reactions though. My other cat Bibi, and my roommates cat,
            Smokey, normally snuck into it whenever she was away, and also would sneak
            over to her upstairs food dish to eat her high calorie kitten food. After
            she died though, they avoided both her bed and food dish like the plague.
            Smokey, who thought of her food as "treats," no longer came running when
            shook the bag of food. It's been about 10 weeks since she's died, and I
            think Smokey is still mourning. They both had sweet temperments and were
            buddies. I starting fostering a kitten for my vet last month, and Smokey,
            who gets along with everyone, just can't seem to warm up to her. I
            eventually let the kitten (now named Mesha) sleep in Kira's bed, but Smokey
            sometimes gives me a look as if to say, "How could you?" I understand how he
            feels. Even though Mesha is sweet, and it's nice to have a kitten in the
            house again, I still miss Kira's particular mannerisms. I struggle with the
            decision of whether to keep Mesha, because in my heart I don't know whether
            it's fair to her at this early stage.

            About ten days after Kira died, I spent several hours putting away her
            various toys, medications and supplements. When I was cleaning the bathroom,
            I found a half of baby aspirin on the floor, where it had fallen when I
            hurridly fumbled with the bottle when I realized she was throwing another
            blood clot. When I swept the floor, I found that it was stuck and couldn't
            be swept up. Since then, I've left it on the floor, and mop around it
            (Luckily it's near the baseboard of the vanity, so it's hardly noticeable).
            I'm always afraid that my roommate, in one of her cleaning frenzy's, will go
            in and vaccuum it up. Somehow seeing that damn aspirin there everytime I go
            in, provides me with an ongoing reminder of Kira, and some important lessons
            I learned from her. It's not rational, and I couldn't admit it to anyone I
            know, but I've resolved to keep it there until I move from here. Grief is
            hell isn't it? I admit to even thinking that the wrong cat had died -- Bibi
            is a problem child, and aspires to be an "only" cat. But now that I can
            devote more time to her, she's "sweetening" up a bit.

            Take good care of yourself and know that all of these idosyncrosies are
            normal.

            Victoria
          • diane
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 5, 2001
              My Kearra died last November and I still have her favorite mouse on the
              nightstand next to my bed. It's sort of hidden as I will be very upset if
              Kali takes it. Sometimes Kali is up there and knocks something off and the
              mouse is exposed, so I hide it under my pillow.

              Frisky died June 2000 and just a few months ago I pulled the throw cover
              off the couch in the sunroom (where he spent most of his last day) to wash
              it. I got it to the basement and heard a "thunk" as I went to put it in the
              washer. His collar with the magnet to open the pet door (I had his
              expensive food locked in a large dog crate with a cat door that only he
              could open) had been wrapped in the throw. I either took it off before his
              last trip to the vet or sat on the couch afterwards with it. All I know is
              seeing it again just stopped me cold - I had forgotten all about it, and
              since I put him to sleep I had more or less come to terms with his death. I
              still cry over Kearra.

              Diane
            • Mike & Linda Irrgang
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 5, 2001
                i think that my pumpkin is starting to have the same problem and today the
                vet came to see him and talked about fluid in his lungs....i know it's hard
                to know the right time to pts but i feel that your smer is the mirror image
                of my pum.....it's so hard....i 'll pray for you and smer.....what does your
                vet say about his prognosis??? how long has he been dx/ed? how old is he?

                linda

                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 5, 2001
                  pardon my ignorance but do cats have a tendency to stop urinating when they
                  start going into chf or experiencing pleural effusion? pum's vet came by
                  today and said that she thinks he has fluid building up in his lungs....

                  also, yesterday he only urinated once vs. his usual 3 times a day...

                  comments? thoughts?

                  linda

                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 5, 2001
                    do you wait to give the dandelion until you know there is a problem? how can
                    you detect fluid buildup in the lungs? does an xray show it?

                    linda

                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 5, 2001
                      the vet took a blood sample to check pum's kidney profile today ...his temp
                      was fine...i'll try to collect a urine specimen tonite....he isn't
                      dehyddrated but she said his lungs sound very congested....he's very
                      lethargic and yesterdeay ate hardly nothing and didn't drink much...he only
                      urinated once tuesday .....i will check his urine again in the am.m and try
                      to collect a urine specimen overnite tonite. this is all so terribly
                      depressing....and the heat is driving me crazy.....i hope i'm doing the
                      right things.

                      linda

                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 5, 2001
                        It's not that they stop urinating... As blood backs up in the overstressed,
                        and inefficent heart, fluid leaks into the surrounding tissues.

                        Victoria
                      • VHess2000@cs.com
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 5, 2001
                          Heat and humidity tends to excerbate symtoms in cardio cats. If you don't
                          have air conditioning, try keeping your cat in a tiled bathroom with a fan
                          running.

                          Victoria
                        • Anyes Moscrip
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 5, 2001
                            Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

                            > do you wait to give the dandelion until you know there is a problem? how can
                            > you detect fluid buildup in the lungs? does an xray show it?
                            >
                            > linda

                            I gave the dandelion as a preventive daily for 6 months. I upped the dose when
                            I saw early signs of fluid build up, such as the 'flank' breath... breathing
                            with the lower flanks used as bellows. The fluid got reabsorbed within 24hrs
                            without the stress of an ER visit.

                            A vet can tell if there is fluid in the lungs from listening to the lungs and
                            heart. It can be seen on xrays, but once you know your cat is prone to it, it
                            is no longer necessary to do an xray each time. Other signs are there.

                            Anyes
                          • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
                              can you tell me more about the early signs? i thought one of them was not
                              sleeping "curled up" but pum will sleep curled up for hours without
                              moving...even now.

                              linda

                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
                                pum hasn't been urinating adequately these past few days....the vet checked
                                for blockage and there is none....he's not drinking enough water
                                either....he's eating ok but not drinking....doesn't this sound like a
                                kidney problem??? he's not dehydrated.....yet....but in this heat he'll be
                                so soon if he doesn't drink more water....this is terrible, terrible,
                                terrible.

                                linda

                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
                                  i keep him in the ac as much as possible...but he's always been a big
                                  drinker and these past 2 days he's been hardly drinking at all....i can tell
                                  he's lost some weight too....

                                  linda

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
                                    where do you get dandelion?

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
                                      Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

                                      > can you tell me more about the early signs? i thought one of them was not
                                      > sleeping "curled up" but pum will sleep curled up for hours without
                                      > moving...even now.

                                      Yes, a kitty with fluid build up will not lay down with head upside down or
                                      belly up. Also, sudden weight gain with drop in appetite, sleeping more,
                                      squeaking or protesting when picked up with hand under rib cage (as fluids push
                                      against major organs), slowed deliberate breaths using lower flanks as bellows,
                                      drop in body temperature, muffled heart sound when listening to the heart with
                                      stethoscope.

                                      2 very good tools to have at home: a scale that measure to 1/10 of once and a
                                      stethoscope. I weighed my hcm/crf kitty every day to monitor unusual weight
                                      gain. With the stethoscope (about $10), you learn what the normal sound is like
                                      so that when the heart is muffled by fluids, you know the difference.

                                      I hope this helps,
                                      Anyes and the girls
                                    • Anyes Moscrip
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Sep 6, 2001
                                        Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

                                        > where do you get dandelion?

                                        I got my dandelion extract at the health food store. I got a glycerin based
                                        liquid extract. It is highly concentrated. I put the liquid in #3 gelcaps and
                                        gave it twice a day, up to 4 times when there were initial signs of fluid build
                                        up.

                                        I hope this helps,
                                        Anyes
                                      • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                                          Dear Everyone and Anynes,

                                          Can you please give me your educated opinion on the following re: fluid
                                          buildup

                                          Pum :

                                          -lies on his back
                                          -sleep curled up for long periods of time
                                          -does not like to "meow" right now; seems to avoid meowing; meows as little
                                          as possible
                                          -lies stretched out on his side alot to rest/sleep (he never did this until
                                          we lived here and I attribute it to the excessive amt of heat)
                                          -drinks alot of water (but always has)
                                          -"wheezes" at inhalation
                                          -squeaks when i pick him up like under the rib cage but only if he was
                                          already in the middle of a meow

                                          Thank you for taking time to talk to us.....

                                          We are grateful for all input.....

                                          Purrs,
                                          Linda and Pum

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                                            can you just give it in liquid drops??? how much do you put in the gelcaps
                                            (pum hates pills)? how do you know which "potency" to buy?? how much do you
                                            put in each gelcap?

                                            Linda

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                                              Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

                                              > Dear Everyone and Anynes,
                                              >
                                              > Can you please give me your educated opinion on the following re: fluid
                                              > buildup
                                              >
                                              > Pum :
                                              >
                                              > -lies on his back
                                              > -sleep curled up for long periods of time
                                              > -does not like to "meow" right now; seems to avoid meowing; meows as little
                                              > as possible
                                              > -lies stretched out on his side alot to rest/sleep (he never did this until
                                              > we lived here and I attribute it to the excessive amt of heat)
                                              > -drinks alot of water (but always has)
                                              > -"wheezes" at inhalation
                                              > -squeaks when i pick him up like under the rib cage but only if he was
                                              > already in the middle of a meow
                                              >
                                              > Thank you for taking time to talk to us.....
                                              >
                                              > We are grateful for all input.....

                                              I doubt very much that there is fluid build up. A kitty with fluid build up
                                              will not lay down on his back. It is very hard to breathe that way. I can
                                              attest to that personally. Also, the squeaking would be unmistakable if he had
                                              fluid build up. If you put your palm under his rib cage between his front legs
                                              and lift his upper body off the couch, he would protest from the pressure, and
                                              not just occasionally.

                                              The wheezing has me a little worried but sounds more like allergies or asthma.
                                              Has Pum ever suffered from either?

                                              Anyes
                                            • Anyes Moscrip
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Sep 7, 2001
                                                Mike & Linda Irrgang wrote:

                                                > can you just give it in liquid drops??? how much do you put in the gelcaps
                                                > (pum hates pills)? how do you know which "potency" to buy?? how much do you
                                                > put in each gelcap?
                                                >
                                                > Linda

                                                I don't see why you could not give the drops or mix them in food. I have not
                                                tasted it but I believe Dandelion is bitter so you have to conceal the taste if
                                                that's the case. It does not take much. I just filled the size 3 gelcap with
                                                it.

                                                Anyes
                                              • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Sep 10, 2001
                                                  yes, he's mildly asthmatic...

                                                • mukki2@yahoo.com
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Sep 20, 2001
                                                    Every vet I talk to is surprised he is still alive (diagnosed in
                                                    January 2000, after he went into CHF after a routine dental
                                                    cleaning). I've been quite attentive to him, adjusting the
                                                    medications after doing research (which I know you aren't supposed to
                                                    do). This downhill spiral started after we left him to go to LV for a
                                                    weekend in late July. He gurgled after that and then I went to Palm
                                                    Springs last weekend and he's much worse now (although I seem to have
                                                    stabilized him). I think he gets stressed when we leave him even
                                                    though he has someone who comes over to feed him and give him meds.
                                                    He's very tired but still shows signs of happiness. I might try the
                                                    Dandelion or ask the vet about injectable lasix. Unfortunately, I
                                                    don't think my vets are very experimental or at least don't have a
                                                    wide range of experience.

                                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                                  • mukki2@yahoo.com
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Sep 20, 2001
                                                      My cat still sleeps curled up, although it's true that when he
                                                      previously had fluid buildup, he did sleep upright. In fact, the
                                                      fact that he sleeps curled up makes me think that he can't be feeling
                                                      too bad since it should be uncomfortable with fluid in the lungs;
                                                      maybe he had just gotten used to the discomfort, however.

                                                      One definite sign in my cat is that he makes a gurgling sound when he
                                                      purrs. As someone else noted, you can also see his sides being sucked
                                                      (below the ribs) in and out when he breathes (there is a medical term
                                                      for this, but I've forgotten it). He also will not stay on his back
                                                      for a prolonged period. For instance, he likes to roll in the dirt.
                                                      With fluid buildup, however, he immediately rights himself back up
                                                      after rolling onto his back. He also tends to rest in non-standing
                                                      position. For instance, when waiting for me to feed him, he no longer
                                                      sits on his haunches. Rather, he rests with his front legs bent so
                                                      that he is almost in a laying-down position. He also sleeps a lot
                                                      more.