Re: [FH] Re: over vaccinating can it cause heart damage?

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 9, 2009
      Judi,

      If you can get an exception, it has to be a note written on the vet's
      letterhead explaining why health conditions preclude vaccinating your cat.
      The downside is that if he's not vaccinated and he bites someone, then they
      can decide to put him down to test for rabies. It's a real tight-rope walk.

      If you must vaccinate for rabies, look for a non-adjuvanted vaccine. As far
      as I know, the only one out there is made by Purevax and it's marketed as a
      one-year vaccine so you'd have to get it every year. The advantage is that
      by being nonadjuvanted, it's less likely to cause some reactions.

      As for adjuvanted vaccines, my understanding is that the dose is identical -
      whether it's marketed for one-year or three-year coverage, or for a tiny
      kitten or a huge dog. So sad that they can't adjust the dose for the
      animal - and also that it's legislated rather than controlled by health-care
      professionals.

      Sue & angels Pepper & Gandy
      with Nicholai, Lola-Joy and Isabella