[FH] Tricks for giving meds?

  • Linda Lee
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2009
      I also reward after pilling (low-carb, high-protein, grain-free dry food, as
      my heart kitty is also diabetic). This served to make Merlin tolerate the
      pilling, and he'd actually look for it in the evenings so he could get the
      dry-food treats.

      My housemate, though, discovered a better way that we use now (it was an act
      of desperation when my stubborn cat refused to open his mouth for her): I
      now coat the pills in butter, and then roll them in dried bonito (fish)
      flakes. The butter keeps him from tasting the bitter broken pills, and also
      helps the bonito flakes stick to the pills. Merlin LOVES this treat, and
      simply eats them up. (I still follow with a few the crunchy treats to make
      sure he's swallowed the pills completely.) Only twice has he licked off the
      bonito flakes without eating the pill, and I simply repackaged more
      carefully and reserved, and he ate them right up.

      Now the only stress of medications (Merlin gets meds both morning and night
      now) is that I can't assemble the butter-and-bonito balls fast enough, and
      he gets impatient.

      -Linda

      From: bmartin@... <mailto:bmartin%40monogrambio.com>
      Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 20:32:24 +0000
      Subject: [FH] Tricks for giving meds?

      Hello All,

      My kitty Merckx was recently diagnosed with HCM. He has had at least one
      heart failure resulting in Pulminary Edema. So he is now on a daily regimen
      of Lasix, Enalapril, and Atenolol. The drugs seem to be keeping him dry and
      hs breathing steady. My question to the group is about techniques for giving
      the meds. When I simply put the pills down his throat, he gets really
      stressed out and that stresses me out every morning. I found the pill
      pockets, and they worked great for about three days until he actually chewed
      one and discovered what was inside. Now he refuses those. I have also ground
      up the pills and mixed them with yogert with limited success. Just curios
      what clever tricks others have discovered.

      thanks,
      Bret

    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2009
        Hi Bret

        I use chicken slices and wrap pills in them. When they put it in their
        mouth, scratch their backs to distract them and they seem to gulp it down. Or I
        use paste..

        :) Lyn

      • oliversmom42
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 8, 2009
          Here are some ideas of food to hide it in if you don't go the compounding route. I've used these to varying degrees of success depending on the kitty:

          Cheese
          Raw beef heart
          Baby food (mixed in, making sure it's not a flavor with garlic or onions)
          Liver (cooked)

          My heart kitty Boo stopped eating the pill pockets for a bit, because she too bit into the pill and didn't like it. So we switched to something else for a bit and then went back to them. We found she loves the salmon ones best, likes the liver ones for dogs okay, and dislikes the chicken one. Also it helps if we dice up the pill so she has less chance of biting into it.

          Good luck,

          Sue & Boo