RE: [FH] Let's talk about clots

  • Linda Lee
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6 7:18 PM
      9> And how many kitties on this list are on blood thinners to prevent clots,
      *before* anything happens? Do you believe that all HCM kitties should be on
      blood thinners? And if so, please tell us which ones you find to work for
      you.

      My cat Merlin was put on Plavix (1/4 tablet daily) as a preventative measure
      after his diagnosis in early/mid December.

      -Linda and Merlin

    • Betty Ann
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 7 12:11 AM
        Sharon,

        I can only share what my vet told me when I asked about the risk of clots
        for Pixel when she had her semi-annual wellness check last week. In Pixel's
        specific situation, she didn't feel that a thinner is indicated. She said it
        depends on the type of HCM a cat has...those with the type where the heart
        walls get thinner are more likely to throw a clot since the blood is more
        likely to pool in the heart instead of getting pumped out...those with a
        thickening of the heart walls are less likely. In over 20 years of practice,
        she's only seen 2 cases of saddle thrombosis...and she's seen a LOT of cats.
        She and her partner had at least 14 cats between the practice and home...all
        were special needs for one thing or another...some heart and some kidney
        along with a variety of other issues. She stays very current in veterinary
        medical developments and is really big on continuing education for herself
        and her staff. Each cat is different and a veterinary cardiologist might be
        your best source of information for your Tigger.

        On a list like this, you will find a higher percentage of cats with clots
        than the average vet will see since all of us have cats with heart
        conditions and many have cats with multiple problems. So far, I only have
        one with health issues.

        Pixel takes Atenolol for her heart to help relax the muscle and make it work
        less hard and she takes Amlodipine for her blood pressure...one of the
        things Amlodipine does is slow the heart rate which also helps the heart
        work less. With the Tumil-K and the other meds, she's been doing great and
        has started gaining weight!

        Please keep us posted on what you learn and how Tigger does.

        Betty Ann &
        Pixel (CRF w/HBP & HCM), Piton, Pipsqueak
        Angels: Tandy, Toni, Snagglefoot

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 7 10:39 AM
          There probably weren't many people answering your clot questions because many of the people with kitties that had clots are no longer in this group. I have been with the group for many years now and have seen many people come and go from this group with kitties that had clots.(A lot of us old timers still review the posts and try to help when we can.) Unfortunately, many of the kitties that had clots did not make it. There are a few that did. The one kitty that you will find the most information on that had a clot is Monkey, who's mommie was Meredith. If you do a search in the postings for clot or Monkey or Meredith, you will find lots of information. Reading these searches will give you the most and best information. I know that people come here looking for immediate help and for the most part do get it, but I want to encourage everyone to look through old postings too for the information that they seek.

          Kitties with clots happen in 3 differernt ways, i.e. one front leg, one back leg, both back legs. There is no way to tell that it is going to happen before it happens. The only thing we can say is that there is always a risk with heart disease. Some heart diseases have greater risk for clots like RCM but not always. Clots can happen even when on medicine to help prevent it. There are no definites in this disease except that it will progress. I know these are not the answers you were seeking. I just wanted to clarify that we on the list are not avoiding or ignoring the postings, it just may be that we don't know enough to help or have not been in the same situation.

          Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

        • puppys_mom
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 7 1:29 PM
            Since I just went through a horrible clot episode -- and lost my cat due to it -- I'll respond to this post. I had documented my short experience on this site while it was happening, from the date of the clot episode (March 16) to euthanasia (March 18). To answer your questions:

            1) What was the first sign: I actually witnessed Franki throwing the clot (though I had no idea that's what was going on at the time -- I knew nothing about clots and didn't even know she had heart disease). First, she used the litterbox normally. Nothing seemed wrong -- she loved to watch me clean the box, and then she would promptly jump in the pristine sand and use it. But less than 15 minutes later, she went running back to the litter box. Her little legs were horribly hobbling. She was running like I had never seen her -- wobbly, and was obviously terrified. I suspect the blood clot passing through made her think she needed to use her box. She jumped in the box, and quickly ran out, hobbling even worse. I followed her, and she was on her back, writhing in pain, panting, her mouth wide open and crying pitifully. I ran to call a vet (it was almost 6 pm, so most were closed or refused to see me, even in an emergency, because they were about to close). When I returned, she was hiding under a dresser, still writhing and crying. It was a horrible experience that I hope to witness never again.

            2) How much pain: Obviously, she was in horrific pain at the time of the clot-throwing. The pain seemed to subside over the next few hours and days, and she mostly seemed comfortable enough after that (though she never walked again). However, if I touched her leg, she still cried out. One vet suggested I massage her foot, to get the circulation going. I didn't do that, as it obviously pained her. But the biggest pain was with the clot-throwing episode itself.

            3) Where was the pain? Franki lost use of her left leg/paw. It seemed the entire leg hurt her. Later, her paw died, and felt nothing at all.

            4) Was she paralyzed? No, just her left leg. But she couldn't walk on just 3 legs, as she was a big, big girl. She tried to hobble about, but couldn't go more than a few inches, dragging her useless paw. She was unusually lethargic after that event, and slept perhaps 22-23 hours a day. She also mostly stopped eating. I don't know if that was because her leg hurt, or if she was depressed, or if her heart disease made her feel awful.

            5) Aspirin? The first vet, who saw her within 15 minutes of the episode, did NOTHING. NOTHING. He took X-rays, charged me $400, diagnosed her heart disease/clot and suggested I put her to sleep. He suggested an ultrasound, but made it clear that there was no hope -- he said the ultrasound was just to confirm the diagnosis, but there was no hope in any case. I took her home. Next morning I started researching to learn more about this diagnosis, and frantically calling around to other vet's offices. Another vet suggested 1 baby aspirin ever 72 hours. I tried that, but it made her SICK. She had the worst diarreah ever. And since she couldn't stand, she would fall in it and it was a big big mess. I had to give her 4 warm baths in one afternoon/evening, as it was such a mess. She hated the baths, of course, so I felt I was torturing her on top of everything else. I did not repeat the aspirin after that, as it was just too toxic for her system. By Friday or Saturday (March 20-21), her paw pads turned black and died. At that point, we knew she had no hope of regaining use of her foot and walking again.

            6) What did vet do? See above -- HE DID NOTHING!!! I am still furious and sad, as I had her in his office within 15 minutes! I believe she might have been saved at that point. The second vet (the one who suggested aspirin, which I started on Tuesday -- almost 24 hours after the episode) did a house call on Wednesday, and thought she looked comfortable and said he thought he detected a weak pulse in her bad leg. The plan was to get her an ultrasound and treat the heart disease once she regained leg function. But by Saturday,her paw had begun to turn necrotic. At that point, amputation was her only chance at survival,but vet said he would not do surgery on a cat with cardiomyopathy (she most likely wouldn't survive surgery); besides, she wouldn't be able to walk again, as she was too heavy to get around on 3 legs.

            7) Outcome? I nurtured and pampered Franki for 12 days, as long as she seemed to feel comfortable, but she had to be spoon fed, could not make it to litter box on her own, and sometimes cried when petted. She was having no fun. So I had her put to sleep --which was the hardest,saddest thing I've ever done. Most likely she would have died soon anyway, as the necrotic paw would have caused a system wide infection.

            I have posted pictures of my Franki -- I am "Puppy's Mom" and Franki is the big white one. I miss her and hope your kitties don't ever suffer the same fate.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 7 1:34 PM
              PS -- sorry for typo. I said good-bye to Franki on March 28, 12 days after clot episode. I had typed wrong date previously.

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "puppys_mom" <maryann.hammers@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > >
              > > 8> And if your kitty did live through one or more clots, what kind of treatment did your vet put him on to help prevent more?
              > >
              > > 9> And how many kitties on this list are on blood thinners to prevent clots, *before* anything happens? Do you believe that all HCM kitties should be on blood thinners? And if so, please tell us which ones you find to work for you.
              > >
              > > thank you all SO MUCH -- this information will help us all, more than you know. We're so worried about our babies.
              > >
              > > thanks, Michelle & Tigger Too, in Toronto

            • Sue
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 7 4:27 PM
                1 - first sign was limping on left rear leg.
                2 - not much pain was evident other than the limp. He doesn't like to be handled at all, so I couldn't tell by touching it if there was any difference.
                3 - couldn't tell where in the leg the pain was.
                4 - could get around ok on 3 legs or limping on 4.
                5 - didn't give any medications until diagnosed by a specialist. After that, he was put on baby aspirin every 3 days, Enalapril daily, and vitamin E.
                6 - Vet initially examined the leg and took x-rays. Listened to his heart and heart a murmur. Scheduled an ultrasound for the heart. After the ultrasound, it was still not evident that it was a clot. Sent me to a cardiologist who did the EKG and determined he had obstructive cardiomyopathy, and that the blood pressure was different in the 2 legs, indicating a probably clot.
                7 - clot dissolved due to treatment. My cat is doing ok on continuing treatment. Due to the heart issues, it is always possible that another clot will develop.
                8 - Currently on aspirin, Enalapril, and vitamin E.
                9 - I'm too new to generalize anything from the vet's recommendation for my cat.

> [...]
                >
                > 8> And if your kitty did live through one or more clots, what kind of treatment did your vet put him on to help prevent more?
                >
                > 9> And how many kitties on this list are on blood thinners to prevent clots, *before* anything happens? Do you believe that all HCM kitties should be on blood thinners? And if so, please tell us which ones you find to work for you.
                >
                > thank you all SO MUCH -- this information will help us all, more than you know. We're so worried about our babies.
                >
                > thanks, Michelle & Tigger Too, in Toronto

              • cathirg
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 8 7:52 AM
                  Our Lester, a 20-pound Maine Coon, has had 2 clots and, thanks to some very good luck and great vets, is doing quite well.

                  I can still remember the day of his first clot, which was almost 2 years ago, so vividly. He likes to sometimes sit behind my computer desk. It was a Saturday morning around 11:00 a.m. He came out from behind my desk and meowed -- not unusual in itself, but the meow was slightly different. Then I looked at him and noticed his eyes were a bit glassy. He then started walking to the kitchen and his gait seemed a bit off. Something told me to get him to the vet right away. We called, our vet had us in there within 15 minutes and immediately gave him a shot of some anti-inflammatory. Lester really didn't evidence any pain or limping but the slightly altered gait, the somewhat strange meow and the glassy eyes were enough to get us to the vet right away.

                  The vet immediately recognized it was a clot and, after giving Lester the anti-inflammatory shot, wrote us a script for Plavix and he has been on that ever since. By that evening there was no outward evidence of the clot at all but his appetite was affected somewhat. We tried feeding him by putting a bit of the wet food he likes on a chopstick and letting him lick it off that while sitting on my husband's lap. That seemed to help and he headed for his food dish on his own.

                  About 2 weeks later he was seen by a cardiac vet and had an echocardiogram. That was when he was formally diagnosed as having HCM. At that time he was put on two other meds -- atenolol and enalapril and the specialist suggested he stay on the Plavix.

                  Approximately 4 or 5 months later he had another clot. This time the only evidence was his tail was dragging on the floor. It must have happened sometime during the overnight hours as the night before he had seemed just fine. Once again, we got him to the vet right away. The vet gave him a low-dose Aspirin when we got there. It was amazing to watch what happened over the next few hours. Within an hour, his tail was no longer dragging completely. Within a couple of hours, it was up off the floor and finally, within about 6 hours, that glorious Maine Coon tail was waving in the air again.

                  He had another echo done shortly after the second incident and the consensus of the vets was that he should be kept on a low-dose Aspirin every 3 to 4 days along with the other 3 meds. He has been on that regimen ever since and we are now well past the one-year mark since the second incident.

                  Lester has never evidenced any pain or discomfort other than that one somewhat odd meow along with the altered gait at the time of the first clot and the dragging tail at the time of the second. He remained as affectionate and wanted pats and cuddles throughout and didn't appear to have pain anywhere when he was stroked.

                  We realise every day with him is to be cherished and are very grateful we live so close to the vets' office and that they knew so immediately exactly what to do.

                  Cathi in Toronto