Re: [FH] Re: Introduction - Debbie and Aja

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6 6:52 PM
      Hi Carol;

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Carol" <carolroars@...>
      > The second thing that concerns me is that if Aja did NOT have fluid in her
      > lungs, why is she on Furosemide (Lasix)? It's a diuretic and if there is
      > no fluid in the >lungs to "dry up", then it's only going to dehydrate Aja,
      > which is dangerous for her kidneys.

      Pepper did originally have what was thought to be pneumonia, and was put on
      Lasix ASAP when diagnosed with the whole in his heart, but the indication
      that the lasix was needed at that time was no longer pneumonia, or fluid
      buildup where you would normally expect it. He only had spillage into the
      GIT and a combination of the lasix and FortiFlora has cleared that up
      entirely.

      I am not disagreeing with you and we have just experienced another use for
      lasix that has thankfully worked for our boy. I really hated the explosive
      diarrhea he came to us with. )-:

      Pat and all the boys.
      http://petfoodpitfalls.blogspot.com/
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7 11:02 AM
        Hi Debbie

        Yes, HCM can be secondary and controlling the thyroid can reverse the HCM,
        or at least make it much better. Thyroid problems are treatable and the HCM is
        in that case. However, cats can have Hyper T AND heart disease as separate
        conditions, so its good she has treatment.

        If the first treatment doesn't work, there is another older drug in a
        different class. Not sure what its name is though.. (It's not an -azole..) You need
        to get the thyroid under control if you can. Then see whether that brings
        the heart condition under control.

        An ultrsound is the only way to see the heart's damage.

        Lyn :)